Can I move out of state if I have a DUI? 15 Answers as of February 22, 2012

I was supposed to move out of my home, but I got a DUI. Will I be forced to stay in the state to deal with the consequences? Is there any way I can take care of it at my new location?

Lowenstein Law Office
Lowenstein Law Office | Anthony Lowenstein
It depends on several factors.
Law Office of Michael Bialys THE DUI MAN
Law Office of Michael Bialys THE DUI MAN | Michael Bialys
You can leave the state as long as you have counsel to represent you and they can settle your terms to be completed out of state.
The Chastaine Law Office
The Chastaine Law Office | Michael Chastaine
You can have an attorney handle the case without your personal appearance. It can be all done by mail.
If you leave without taking care of it a warrant will be issued for your arrest. After you have resolved the case there is no reason why you would be prevented from leaving.
Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation
Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation | Paul Wallin
You will need to retain an experienced DUI attorney who can appear in court on your behalf if you are residing in another state. You likely can have the lawyer handle the case for you without you remaining in California. There may be a required alcohol program involved and you will have to discuss with your lawyer if you can do the program out of state or not. Go to wklawdui.com for more information on how we can help you.
    You will need to hire an attorney. They can make all the appearances for you and you will be free to move.
    Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller
    Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller | Thomas Mueller
    You can move out of state as long as you do all the things the judge orders you to do as a part of the sentence. If you are an out of state resident when he enters judgement ( sentences you ) you may get by with not doing the weekend work program. But if you are still an in state resident at that time the judge will require you to attend 12 weeks of classes in state. So, you may consider leaving now and hiring a lawyer to appear for you. That way you don't even need to come back for that.
    If you are convicted of a DUI, then you will have to do a California Alcohol Program. That's why you should consider hiring a lawyer to reduce the charge so that you "don't" have a DUI and don't have to deal with the consequences that come with a DUI.
    Grant & Grant
    Grant & Grant | Richard L. Grant, Esq.
    Yes if u hire a dui atty to represent u in California Court Appearances. There is also an issue of taking the classes in another state.
    You can complete your DUI requirements out of state. You do need the courts approval to do this and you need to do your classes at a place that is approved by California.
    As long as there is no specific court order restricting you from leaving the state, you are ok to do so. There normally is not. Your attorney can handle the court appearances [typically at least two] without you, or you can return for them InProPer. Keep in mind a little free advice: When arrested for DUI, whether alcohol or drugs, then upon release from jail or booking the defendant is given documents that include a notice that you have only ten days to file a request with DMV for a hearing on an appeal of an automatic one-year suspension of your license imposed by DMV. That is separate and runs consecutively with any suspension that may be imposed by the court. Contact DMV and do so, timely, then appear at your scheduled DMV appeal hearing and present any supporting evidence and testimony. If you don't know how to do these things, then hire an attorney that does.
    Wallin & Klarich
    Wallin & Klarich | Stephen D. Klarich
    If you end up having to attend an alcohol program, check with the DMV. If they don't recognize the out of state alcohol program you attend, you will get no credit doing it and DMV in CA can suspend your license (or your privilege to drive) until you attend approved program. Usually you can move to another state but be careful of DMV.
    Law Office of Joe Dane
    Law Office of Joe Dane | Joe Dane
    Assuming this is your first DUI, an attorney can make the court appearances on your behalf, but you can't transfer the case to where your new home is. If you're moving out of state and there are consequences, you'll just have to make sure to comply with the court's orders, etc. For example, assuming you end up with a conviction, you'll have to complete an alcohol program to satisfy the California DMV. If you don't, they'll suspend your license. Because all states are connected now via computers, your new state will know of the suspension and hold and won't issue you a license in the new state until you clean up the issue in California.With any criminal case and DUI, you'll need a good local criminal defense attorney to get you through this.
    It is a misdemeanor so a lawyer can appear for you, plead you guilty if that is what you want, and send you papers for you to sign. Then you need to find a DUI school wherever you live but virtually every place has them.
    Law Offices of Sheryl S. Graf
    Law Offices of Sheryl S. Graf | Sheryl S. Graf
    If you hire an attorney to represent you in a misdemeanor DUI case, your attorney can make all court appearances on your behalf. Typically, you do not need to be personally present. This information is general and should not be construed to constitute specific legal advice nor to create an attorney/client relationship.