Can I move my daughter out of state without the father's consent? 1 Answers as of July 23, 2013

My daughter's father and I have never been married. We broke up about 3 years ago and I'm tired of living here in Jersey City. I found a great home in Virginia to raise our daughter. My daughter's father lives a few blocks from where I live now and his idea of spending time with our daughter is picking her up once a week or every other week. Sometimes he can go a week or two without seeing her and he doesn't take care of her financially. Can I make that move without his consent?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Glenn Milgraum PC
Glenn Milgraum PC | Glenn P. Milgraum
You shouldn't, as such a move can "backfire" on you. The best action to to take is to make a motion to the Court for relocation. If proper cause can be shown for the move, and the father's visitation (overall) is not greatly reduced but simply reorganized, there is a good chance of success.
Answer Applies to: New Jersey
Replied: 7/23/2013
Click to View More Answers: