Can I move in with my mom without consent from my dad? Posted on August 12, 2011

I want to move with my mom in South Carolina. I currently am stuck in Rhode Island with my dad. I am 16 years old and I know I would have a better life in SC. My dad wont consent to me moving with my mom. I tried numerous times to talk with my dad about how my life would be better with mom and how I would be with my real family because I have noone in rhode island. I feel absolutely helpless because my dad is so stubborn and wont change his mind. My mom would like me to move down but we dont have the money to get attorneys and stuff. I dont know what legally I can do. Could I just move there without my dad consenting or do I have to wait until I turn 17 to move. They've been divorced since 2000 and my dad got custody of me because he paid a lot of money for lawyers and my mom only got a free lawyer. I plan on staying in school no matter what happens. I know eventually im gonna move to Sc when im an 'adult' but I need to be where I belong (in South Carolina in my moms custody) asap. Again I always try to talk to my dad but he wont budge. Any help will be appreciated greatly.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Click to View More Answers: