Can I move after I file bankruptcy? 10 Answers as of October 07, 2014

I was wondering if I've filed bankruptcy, can I move to another state?

Freeman Law Group, LLC
Freeman Law Group, LLC | Derek Freeman
You can move anytime you want. If you are in the process and haven't gone to your creditors meeting, you will have to attend it, even if it means driving or flying back. If you've already had your creditors meeting, then you should tell your attorney of your new address, or notify the trustee if you don't have a lawyer. If you are in a chapter 13 bankruptcy, you can still move but you will need to notify the trustee of your new address, and keep making payments.
Bankruptcy isn't prison and you are not required to get permission from your probation officer to move. You do need to make sure that the bankruptcy court knows your current address by providing a written change of address to the court. And moving isn't an excuse for not making your mandatory court appearances.
Yes, you can move after you file bankruptcy.
You can move but you will still have to appear in the state that you filed your bankruptcy.
D.J. Rausa, Attorney at Law | D.J. Rausa
Yes. The bankruptcy court does not impose any residential restrictions after filing. Be prepared to appear if required to.