Can I marry a US citizen if I am out of status? 3 Answers as of March 21, 2011

I’m from the Philippines, and I’m here in the US as an illegal alien. I’m planning to get married, but my annulment in the Philippines is still pending. Is there any way I could marry my bf here? My ex is willing to sign that we have been separated for quite some time.

You cannot get married until your annulment is granted since until that time you are not legally able to marry because you are still married. The fact that you and your first husband have been separated for a long time does not automatically end your marriage. Once your first marriage is annulled then you can get married in the U.S. If you last entered the U.S. legally, then you can file for adjustment of status.
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
File for divorce in the US. then get married with your boyfriend.
Your real question is if I marry a US citizen, can I get a green card based on my marriage? The answer is depends. It depends whether you came legally or not. If you crossed the border, you can't adjust status here. If you need help, please contact us. Good luck!