Can I marry a non US Citizen with a tourist visa? 2 Answers as of April 15, 2011

I am a US citizen and I have been involved with an Australian citizen online for over a decade but we have never met in person. He would like to come to the US this summer to visit me, and if things go well we would like to get married. If possible, we would like to do this without him having to leave the country again. If he comes here on a tourist visa, would this be possible? It does not seem like he would qualify for a fiance visa since we have not met, and we would like to know the best course of action to take.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
Yes. This is absolutely possible. He can adjust his status from tourist (B1/B2 visa or Visa Waiver) to a green card, but he must marry first and file afterwards here in the US. Good Luck!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/15/2011
William C. Gosnell, Attorney at Law
William C. Gosnell, Attorney at Law | William C. Gosnell
Get him a tourist Visa First. If things go well for you and you wish to marry then do so. You can file an I-130 for a spouse visa. There is a lot of Fraud in this area so expect to be investigated by INS. After 2 years of marriage and no divorce filed he can apply for citizenship married to you or not.
Answer Applies to: Tennessee
Replied: 4/15/2011
Click to View More Answers: