Can I marry my British boyfriend? 13 Answers as of June 28, 2012

My boyfriend and I met online about 3 years ago and we have been together for 2. We would like to get married soon, but we were wondering if it is even possible for us to marry and if it is; how it would be done if it is possible?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Pacifica Legal Services
Pacifica Legal Services | Floyd Fernandez
If you have been with him in person for any time in the last 18 months, you can petition for him, if he is your fiance. It will likely be approved, after which he can join you in the USA. You must marry within 90 days, then you must apply for adjustment of status (green card). You will need a lawyer to assist you in this process, so please feel free to contact me by phone or e-mail for an in-person or phone consultation for free to determine your next steps.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/28/2012
Law Office of Pho Ethan Tran PLLC
Law Office of Pho Ethan Tran PLLC | Pho Ethan Tran
Yes. You can marry your boyfriend and he can apply for his residency here in the US if you are a US citizen. He will not need to return to Great Britain in order to apply for his green card.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 6/6/2012
Frazier, Soloway & Poorak, P.C.
Frazier, Soloway & Poorak, P.C. | David Nabow Soloway
I assume you are a U.S. Citizen. If your fiance is abroad, you may petition for him to receive a fiance visa so he may come to the U.S. to marry you within the requisite time and then apply for adjustment of status for him to become a Lawful Permanent Resident (to get a "Green Card"). If your fiance is here in the U.S., and entered lawfully and with inspection, then you would be able to apply for him to adjust status in the U.S. notwithstanding that he may have overstayed his visa, been unlawfully present for a long time and even worked without authorization. The steps for properly preparing and documenting family-based applications can be complicated and it would be wise for you and your fianc? to work with an immigration attorney to assess eligibility and to assure that the case is prepared and processed properly - errors with applications can cause very substantial delays or even denials.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 6/1/2012
Law Offices of Brian D. Lerner, A PC
Law Offices of Brian D. Lerner, A PC | Brian David Lerner
*Fiancee Petition or K3 Spouse Petition* A Fiance Petition needs to be prepared. This is a petition that will allow your fianc?e to come to the U.S. in a relatively short period of time. Usually, it takes around 6 to 9 months for the petition to be approved at immigration in the United States. Subsequently, the approval would be sent to the U.S. Consulate or Embassy in your fiance's home country. When your fianc?e comes to the U.S., you will have ninety days to get married. Our firm can prepare the entire Fiance Petition and make it so it goes smoothly and correctly. You have to have physically seen your Fiance in the last two years. Alternatively, a K-3 Petition can be prepared. This is where you will marry your fiance or have already married outside of the U.S., and then the petition can be approved in three to four months for your then spouse to enter the U.S. Upon entry to the U.S., it would be possible to then prepare and file the Adjustment of Status application. Both the K-1 and the K-3 visas take about the same time.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/29/2012
Elkhalil Law Firm, LLC
Elkhalil Law Firm, LLC | Hassan Elkhalil
Yes you can get married either in England or in the U.S. To get married in the U.S. you simply go to your local court house.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 5/29/2012
    Law Offices of Grinberg and Segal
    Law Offices of Grinberg and Segal | Alexander Segal
    You can typically marry a foreign citizen without issue so long as you both have sufficient evidence of identity and age. Each jurisdiction has its own requirements for evidence needed to marry so you should contact the agency handling marriages where you live. Once you marry, you may be able to petition for your husband to receive an immigrant visa, but I would need more information regarding his immigration history to answer this question.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 5/29/2012
    Law Office of Catherine Brown LLC
    Law Office of Catherine Brown LLC | Catherine Brown
    You can of course marry but to be considered valid you must be eligible to marry under the laws of the jurisdiction in which you are marrying. (i.e. old enough, officially divorced). Then you should probably speak to an immigration attorney about the process of sponsoring your spouse for permanent residence or a "green card."
    Answer Applies to: Colorado
    Replied: 5/29/2012
    World Esquire Law Firm
    World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
    If you feel like marrying in good faith and you are a USC, then have him come to the US and marry him. Las Vegas is usually the fastest but you can do this anywhere. You can file a fiance visa for him to come and marry you within 90 days of his arrival. I mean marrying him is literally not an issue, why do you feel this is such an impossible thing? Easiest thing in the world so, what did you really want to ask.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 5/29/2012
    Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny
    Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny | Svetlana Boukhny
    Yes, you can marry and then he can apply for a green card on the basis of marriage. Or, you can petition for him as your fiance and he will get a fiance visa to enter the US and get married to you and then apply for a green card on the basis of marriage.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 5/29/2012
    Mayo Mallette PLLC
    Mayo Mallette PLLC | Thomas J. Rosser
    I am assuming you are a US citizen and that you currently are residing in the US and he is either living abroad or entered the US legally (was inspected and admitted through a US port of entry) and is either currently in status or is now an "overstay" but has never departed the US since initial authorized entry. I am also assuming that you each have the legal capacity to marry (i.e. are not currently married and are adults). Under such assumptions, yes, you would be able to marry and file concurrent petitions for him as the petitioner for his spousal adjustment of status to lawful permanent resident (again assuming he has no other legal impediments such as prior violations of the Immigration and Nationality Act and other applicable statutes which would hinder the process). You should consult an experienced immigration specialist to help you through the complications of a rather lengthy and detailed legal process leading to a family-based "green card" for your potential alien spouse.
    Answer Applies to: Mississippi
    Replied: 5/29/2012
    Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law
    Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law | Theresa E. Tilton
    Marriage is a matter of state law, not federal immigration law. If a couple gets married according to the law of the place where one of them is living, then generally that marriage is recognized as valid all over the world. In the United States, generally the law requires that each partner be adult, unmarried, and not closely related to each other. In most of the United States, the partners must also be a man and a woman. If you have not yet met each other face-to-face, you may have a more difficult time getting married. Proxy marriages are permitted in a few states. Your local county auditor, or in Britain the registry office, will have the applications for the marriage license. The questions on the application will show you the exact requirements.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 5/25/2012
    Kazmi & Sakata
    Kazmi & Sakata | Harun Kazmi
    Yes, you can marry him. The marriage must take place together. It cannot be done online. If you are referring to his immigration, I would need more information about his current visa status and location.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 5/25/2012
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney