Can I marry my boyfriend who has illegal immigration status? How? 7 Answers as of May 06, 2015

My fiance had a valid visa when he entered the US. He has never been in trouble with the law. I was born here and I am a US citizen. Can we legally get married? What do I have to do to make him legal?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
The Law Office Kevin L. Dixler
The Law Office Kevin L. Dixler | Kevin Lawrence Dixler
Most counties in Illinois allow a person, even a foreigner who has proof of his or her identity, to get married. If your spouse has proof that he was admitted and inspected, then there is hope that he may be able to eventually be petitioned by you and seek what is called adjustment of status. I strongly recommend an appointment with a competent and experienced immigration attorney. There may be additional complications with the process. Hopefully, you both can overcome those challenges. Good luck. The above is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 5/6/2015
Law Office of Christine Contreras | Christine Contreras
Yes, you can get married. He would need to apply for adjustment of status to apply for his residency.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 5/6/2015
Frazier, Soloway & Poorak, P.C.
Frazier, Soloway & Poorak, P.C. | David Nabow Soloway
A U.S. citizen may marry a foreign national who entered the U.S. lawfully and with inspection, and she then may petition for him to adjust status to become a Lawful Permanent Resident (to get a "Green Card"). This is true even if the foreign national husband may have overstayed his visa. The process includes completing the wedding, filing a Petition for Foreign Relative and an Application for Adjustment of Status. Without any additional filing fee, an Application for an Employment Authorization Document (an "EAD" or "work permit") also may be filed - the EAD would be valid for use while the Adjustment of Status case remains pending. With the application there are many additional supporting documents that must be filed too, including Biographical Information forms, an Affidavit of Support with documentary evidence of earnings; a medical examination report; photographs; birth and marriage records; etc. It would be wise to work with an immigration attorney to assure that the process is handled properly and to avoid delays or even risks of more harsh consequences.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 5/5/2015
Alena Shautsova
Alena Shautsova | Alena Shautsova
You can marry him. As to how to make him "legal": you need to meet with an attorney.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 5/4/2015
Richard S. Kolomejec, Attorney at Law
Richard S. Kolomejec, Attorney at Law | Richard S. Kolomejec
Yes. You can marry him and he can apply for a green card. You will need to complete and file the following forms: I-130, I-485, G-325, I-864, I-765, I-131, WR-702, and G-28.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/4/2015
    Baughman & Wang
    Baughman & Wang | Justin X. Wang
    just go to the county clerk's office to get married and then file 130, 485 to get green card. if you are not sure exactly how to do it, hire an immigration lawyer to help you.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 5/4/2015
    Rivas-Rivera Law Offices
    Rivas-Rivera Law Offices | Juan Ramon Rivas-Rivera
    Yes you can. And, since he entered the U.S. on a valid visa, he can stay here until final decision is reached. You will need several documents including your birth certificates and marriage license and certificate.
    Answer Applies to: Texas
    Replied: 5/4/2015
Click to View More Answers: