Can I marry my boyfriend while he is incarcerated to avoid deportation? 4 Answers as of July 19, 2011

My boyfriend and I have been living together for 4 years can I marry him to avoid him from getting deported. He also has an itin number where he reports his taxes with the irs. He is currently is incarcerated for a nisi.

Oltarsh and Associates, PC
Oltarsh and Associates, PC | Jennifer Oltarsh
It depends on his conviction. The spouse of a U.S. citizen who entered the country legally is eligible for adjustment of status, provided however, that such individual is not subject to a ground of inadmissibility. These can arise from criminal convictions. I have been practicing for over 15 years. Our immigration law firm has been in the immigration field for more than 45 years. We have handled cases with experience, integrity, and good effect.
Immigration Law Offices of Misiti Global, PLLC.
Immigration Law Offices of Misiti Global, PLLC. | Nicklaus Misiti
Yes, you can marry him and petition for his green card. If your application is granted he will avoid deportation. You will need to speak with and retain an immigration attorney to have any chance of success.
A simple marriage is not going to give your boyfriend privilege beyond the law. However, depending on many factors, your boyfriend may be eligible for some form of relief. You should have a face-to-face consultation with an immigration lawyer to determine what your options are.
Ask the detention center what is their policy on marrying detainees-some allow it some don't. Once married, file an i-130.