Can I marry before citizenship oath? 13 Answers as of September 10, 2012

I came to USA on Business. My girlfriend qualified the citizenship interview recently. How long should I wait to marry and adjust my status? Please let me know.

Coane and Associates
Coane and Associates | Bruce Coane
A USA citizen can sponsor their spouse for a green card. A tourist can get married here at any time, and no need to wait to do so until after their fiance becomes a citizen. As long as no travel abroad is planned, immigration status should not be an issue in picking a wedding date.
Law Offices of Alan R. Diamante, APLC
Law Offices of Alan R. Diamante, APLC | Alan R. Diamante
You can marry now and file after she is sworn in.
Until your girlfriend has her certificate of naturalization.
Law Office of Rebecca White
Law Office of Rebecca White | Rebecca White
You will want to discuss the specific details of your situation confidentially with an immigration attorney.
Gilliard-Husser, PA | Tonisha Gilliard-Husser
If your wife is a naturalized citizen and you are still in the USA on a visa (e.g. B-1/B-2) then you can marry now and have an attorney file the Petition packet for your lawful permanent residence.
    Joseph Law Firm
    Joseph Law Firm | Jeff Joseph
    You cannot adjust your status until your wife obtains her citizenship. You can marry before then, but cannot adjust until she is a U.S. citizen. You should consult with an immigration attorney to assist you with this matter.
    Law Office of Bijal Jani | Bijal Jani
    You should wait until she actually receives her citizenship certification, and then file.
    You can marry at any time. If you marry prior to the oath, your wife will have to indicate she has married and bring a copy of the marriage certificate when she goes to the oath ceremony. You should not file for adjustment of status until after she has naturalized.
    You can get married at any time but your girlfriend/future wife will only be able to petition for you once she has the citizenship oath and is given her certificate of naturalization.
    Law Office of Grady G Gauthier | Grady G Gauthier
    If you came to the US on a business visa and are planning on marrying a US citizen or legal permanent resident you need to set up a consultation with an immigration attorney. Timing is everything regarding this process and making a mistake can ruin your chances of becoming a US permanent resident.
    Law Office of Pho Ethan Tran PLLC
    Law Office of Pho Ethan Tran PLLC | Pho Ethan Tran
    You do not need to wait to get married, but you cannot apply for adjustment of status until your fiancee has her certificate of naturalization in hand.
    Richard S. Kolomejec, Attorney at Law
    Richard S. Kolomejec, Attorney at Law | Richard S. Kolomejec
    I would wait until after you become a US citizen. The oath certificate will state single and if you marry there is no time to change it. Once you become a US citizen, you can marry immediately. I would recommend consulting with an attorney before getting married. How you do the wedding can be important as well.
    Law Office of Eric Fisher | Eric Fisher
    You can get married now and it will not affect your wife's naturalization process, but if asked at the interview she needs to admit being married, and may need to amend the N-400 application if she has not been interviewed yet.