Can I lose my teaching credential even if I legally have a medical marijuana card? 5 Answers as of June 20, 2011

I have a question in regards to the CTC and Prop 215. Could a credentialed teacher in California lose their credential for possessing or growing marijuana even if they have their California Prop 215 card? What protection, if any, does a teacher have under Proposition 215? What about the leave of absence amendment? Would that bypass losing your credential?

That depends on what happens in court. A this can can be bargained away. there our other ways to keep this off your record. You need to talk with an attorney in person to get all your options.
You can lose your teaching credentials for things that do not amount to a crime. This is a complicated matter and you need the assistance of a criminal lawyer and one who specializes in professional licensing.
No one can give you a firm answer to that, as it is still a grey area at best. The same question applies to firearm ownership by a card holder as well. Even a validly state issued card is a Politically Correct fiction applicable in California only. It prevents arrest for simple small quantity possession for private use. If does nothing for charges of sales, distribution, transport, or large quantities. It has no protective effect against federal drug laws, and you can be arrested and convicted of federal drug charges at any time if caught by DEA or other federal agent, like Customs at the airport. That would clearly affect your teaching credential. Also, if your card is not the real deal, issued by the state upon real doctors certification of medical need, it really is a fiction, which prosecutors are finally starting to deal with by closing down the dispensaries where most people get their unofficial $40-50 card issued.
Lowenstein Law Office
Lowenstein Law Office | Anthony Lowenstein
It depends on the school district bi-laws. For more information, please see my website.
Law Offices of Matthew Murillo
Law Offices of Matthew Murillo | Matthew Murillo
Wouldn't it be safer (and more role model-ish) to just find an alternative way to manage symptoms?