Can I live in the same house as my father if he is a convicted felon and I own firearms? 1 Answers as of October 04, 2017

I will get out of the Navy soon. I am going to live with my parents for a couple months. My dad is a convicted felon (for a non violent crime), and I own 2 pistols. Am I allowed to keep my firearms in my room in a safe or do I have to store them elsewhere?

R. Jason de Groot, P.A
R. Jason de Groot, P.A | R. Jason de Groot
I think that it would be best to store them elsewhere. The reason that I say that is because of a case that I have had in the past. A brother had left a box of shotgun shells in a desk which was pushed up against the wall, facing the wall. The defendant did not know the shells were there but was charged criminally, and it took quite a bit of negotiating to get the state to drop that charge. So, why even have to negotiate when it can be a mandatory minimum of 3 years in prison for your father? He can get his right to bear arms restored if it has been more than 8 years after to completion of the entire sentence.