Can I legally use the word deluxe at my restaurant? How? 5 Answers as of June 04, 2015

Can I use the word deluxe to describe a sandwich that I am going to sell at my small restaurant? I know that a lot of fast food restaurants also use this word to describe their food. I am just not sure if they are all running the risk of being sued by doing so.

Eminent IP, P.C.
Eminent IP, P.C. | Paul C. Oestreich
The term DELUXE is a common adjective meaning luxurious or sumptuous, or of a superior kind or nature. It is a term that is merely descriptive of an attribute of the object to which it is attached. So, by itself the term DELUXE is not a mark that could be successfully enforced against you. An example of how this term has been used to describe sandwiches might be instructive.
You should be able to use the word without any problem. The name of a sandwich can't be copyrighted and deluxe, by itself, can't be used as a trademark.
Webb IP Law Group
Webb IP Law Group | Jason P Webb
I don't know any reason why one would be stopped from doing that, in general terms.
Law Office of Kirk Buhler
Law Office of Kirk Buhler | Kirk A Buhler
The word "delux" is a fairly nebulous word when related to a sandwich. A brief search of the trademark database located a registration for "D DELUX" in restaurant services. Usually you would first receive a cease and deist letter before being sued so you can change or remove the word before further legal action is taken.
Banner & Witcoff, Ltd. | Ernie Linek
Why not ? Deluxe is a common dictionary word - meaning "of special elegance, sumptuousness, or fineness; high or highest in quality, luxury, etc." Go for it.