Can I legally put anything on a website? 5 Answers as of October 15, 2012

If its my own website are there rules I have to follow or can I post whatever I want?

Johnetta Paye
Johnetta Paye | Johnetta Paye
As the owner of a website/domain name, you can post original content created by you or someone you have hired to create original content for you. Typically, you want to refrain from posting content that infringes on the copyrights of others. One example would be using photos owned by someone else on your website. You would need to obtain permission to post photos owned by another person/third party on your website. For example, if you wanted to post a picture of a well known celebrity on your website, you would need to get permission from the photographer who took the picture to use the image. Or if the photo is owned by the celebrity then you would need to get their permission. There are websites such as iStock and Getty Images that allow you to purchase a license to use certain images on your website.
Neil J. Lehto, Esq.
Neil J. Lehto, Esq. | Neil J. Lehto
Websites are little different from other forms of media. You are protected by free speech while others are protected by copyright, trademark, libel, privacy and more. So, no, you cannot whatever you want without subjecting yourself to liability.
Lawyer for Indie Media
Lawyer for Indie Media | Sue Basko
You have to be very careful what you put on a website. You need to consult with a lawyer who knows about websites. I strongly suggest you consult before you even come up with your website plan.
Lawyer for Independent Media
Lawyer for Independent Media | Sue Basko
There are many laws and rules about content on websites. Things you should be aware of include copyright, trademark, right of publicity, and defamation.You also need to consider if you are going to have user provided contents, and know the laws and rules about those. Depending on your plan, you need to know about privacy laws, child privacy laws, and many other things. If you don't know what you are doing, you should read lots of articles and also consult with a lawyer who knows about website This is a massive area of law and you should consult with a lawyer on a regular basis if you have a website.I do this sort of work and welcome new clients.
ARC Law Group
ARC Law Group | Mark Pearson
You cannot legally post "anything " on your website. You must be cognizant of a number of laws surrounding a variety of legal issues such as copyright, trademark, right of publicity and defamation. Posting content on your site that violates the law can result in criminal and or civil penalties..