Can I legally paint and then resell a product? 3 Answers as of February 01, 2011

I want to start selling grip tape for skateboards with my company name and logo on them. If I buy a box of 100 sheets from another company can I paint on them and re-sell the sheets individually?

DANIEL NESBITT
DANIEL NESBITT | Hasse & Nesbitt
If the grip tape you buy is not covered whatsoever by a patent, you are free to sell. However, a patented product that is purchased, upgraded, and resold may nonetheless infringe the patent right on the base product. I doubt the application of your tradename would be considered an upgrade. Check the package to see if there is a "patent no." or "patent pending" notice (though a patent owner is not required to mark a patent). Avoid reselling if the trademark from your supplier is also on the tape. I recommend you consult a patent attorney to review the details.
Fish & Associates, PC
Fish & Associates, PC | Robert D. Fish
If the product is protected under trademark law, there may be a problem with reverse confusion. That is somewhat unlikely for a grip tape product, especially recently since the 9th circuit has recently narrowed application of the doctrine. There might also be a problem with some other form of unfair competition, depending on the specific facts. It's probably worthwhile to talk this over with an attorney.
Mark S. Hubert PC
Mark S. Hubert PC | Mark Hubert
Yes. I assume that you are just putting on your own skateboard company name for advertising purposes. You have no intent to advertise that your company makes the tape.