Can I legally marry an illegal immigrant to keep them in the United States? 9 Answers as of August 02, 2011

Can I legally marry my bf so he can stay in U.S im 19 and he is 20 but we have been together for awhile. He came over to the U.S since he was 6 years old and he went to school and work out here. He has a 2 year old son. I just want answers that can help me out with my problem. Ii will appreciated.

Law Firm of Caroline Dreyfus PA
Law Firm of Caroline Dreyfus PA | Caroline D J Dreyfus
Yes, if you are a United States Citizen and he entered the United States Legally
Kazmi & Sakata
Kazmi & Sakata | Harun Kazmi
Thank you for your inquiry. Yes, you can legally marry him. Unfortunately, there is no easy way to correct his status. If he was brought here illegally, he cannot obtain any status (unless the laws change). There is an existing exception that permits the filing of a penalty ($1,000), if you have had a previous family or employment based case filed by 04/30/2001. Has anyone in his family filed such a case?
You mention bf and I assume you mean boy friend and not best friend. If he is your boy friend and you plan to get married for Love and not necessarily to help him, yes that might be a way for him to become legal. Assuming that he has not travelled back and forth, if he came in the US with a visa, yes he can become a permanent resident without leaving the country, but if he crossed the border without inspection, he will have to depart and have his interview with a US consulate abroad and apply for a waiver. In any event, this is a very important matter and there are a lot of issues that needs to be dealt with by an experienced immigration attorney. Let us know if we can be of help.
It depends on how he entered the US, any immigration violations and whether or not anyone filed for him or his parents prior to April 30, 2001. You can get married and start the petition process, but I cannot give you any more details with the limited information you have provided.
Hans Burgos, P.A., Immigration Law Offices
Hans Burgos, P.A., Immigration Law Offices | Hans Burgos
The immigration laws do not allow the conferring of a green card to a foreign national who enters into a marriage for the sole purpose of obtaining such immigration benefit. A foreign national may qualify for a green card as long as the underlying marriage was one contracted in good faith, and not only "to keep [him] in the United States".
    Verdin Law Firm, LLC
    Verdin Law Firm, LLC | Isaul Verdin
    If you have a bona fide relationship, then yes, you can get married. Thereafter, you need to consult with an experienced immigration lawyer to continue with the process to legalize your future husband. Best of luck.
    Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law
    Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law | Eric Mark
    YOu can marry him. Whether he can remain in the U.S. after you marry him depends on several facts you did not provide. You need to speak with a lawyer.
    The Law Office of Khoa D Bui
    The Law Office of Khoa D Bui | Khoa D Bui
    Generally, you, as a citizen or resident of the U.S., may petition for your spouse. The spouse may not qualify to adjust status while in the U.S. ("to stay here") but must have the immigration visa processed at the U.S. Consulate in the country of origin where the issue of illegal presence in the U.S. will come up. Your inquiry left out many critical details that we need to know in order to intelligently advise.
    You are not old enough. You have to wait until you are 21 and your relationship with him has to be in good faith, that is to say, has to be based on love. There are many requirements there. You should hire an attorney to help you when it is time.