Can I legally marry a 17 year old while applying for citizenship? 5 Answers as of July 18, 2011

I'm going to start the process for becoming a citizen and I have no criminal record, can I marry my underage girlfriend who came to the US legally but over stayed, I would like her to stay here and I want to get her a green card so she can attend college here or else she will leave to Mexico to study law and neither me or her want to separate. We are going to marry anyways when she is 18 if non of this is possible but I really want to do this as soon as possible in order for her to not miss out semesters at whatever school she wants to attend. By any chance do you know what a judge looks for to approve underage marriage other then parent consent?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
In California you must be 18 to marry or else one of your parents must be present when you apply for the license. If her parents will not consent and you need to go to Court the Judge will look at the best interests of the minor (your girl friend); the maturity of the couple, other factors to show you are making this decision in a responsible way, reasons why your parents will not consent. We would be happy to assist you with the immigration process.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/18/2011
Law Office of Christine Troy
Law Office of Christine Troy | Christine Troy
Marriage to a minor is not allowed in most states. So it depends upon whether the marriage is recognized as legal in the state where the marriage takes place. Based on the facts you state below, once you are a USC, you will be able to apply for her green card in the US because she entered legally. But I do recommend that you find a competent immigration attorney in your area and have a full consultation to determine a)your rights in terms of when to marry and b)your fiancee's eligibility for the green card.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/15/2011
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law | Linda Liang
No, you can't.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 7/15/2011
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC | Reza Athari
Marriage is for love and should not be for immigration purposes. Once you legally marry, it will not have any effect on your application of citizenship. I am not aware nor do I recommend marriage with under age without parents consent.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 7/15/2011
Immigration Law Offices of Misiti Global, PLLC.
Immigration Law Offices of Misiti Global, PLLC. | Nicklaus Misiti
You have to look at your states laws as to when she can marry.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 7/15/2011
Click to View More Answers: