Can I legally get a car back after I sold it but the title is still in my name? 11 Answers as of May 21, 2013

I sold my car to my friend an few months ago. I did not get a copy of the bill of sale. He and I have been on bad terms for a month now. A week ago, I went to renew my tag for my truck and I was asked if I was going to renew the one I sold. I confronted him an asked for a copy of the bill of sale but he didn’t give it to me. I recently talked to his girlfriend. She told me that he wasn't going to change it and that the title and bill of sale he has is beyond readable. What do I do to protect myself from something like this?

There is a form that you can file with the Department of Motor Vehicle, advising DMV as to the new owner and removing you from any possible liability for accidents, etc. caused by the new owner. You should contact DMV as soon as possible.
Lacy Fields, Attorney at Law, LLC
Lacy Fields, Attorney at Law, LLC | Lacy Fields
You can file the necessary paperwork with the Department of Revenue (which oversees the Drivers' License Bureau in Missouri). Go online and get the forms. You do not have to wait for your friend to file them; you can do it yourself.
Leonard A. Kaanta, P.C. | Leonard A. Kaanta
Report sale to the Secretary of State in Michigan.
All you can do is file a report of sale. Unless you took a security interest in the car, you can't get it back.
Mary W Craig P.C. | Mary W Craig
If you sold the car, you should have transferred the title at the same time. If he has the title, then he is responsible for getting the tags. Ask the county if they have an affidavit you can sign saying you sold the car and to whom so that you are not responsible if he is in an accident and hurts someone, or worse.