Can I legally evict a tenant if they are late on rent payments? 3 Answers as of June 02, 2011

Is it legal to evict a tenant when they've paid late for 3 consecutive months? I figured if they are paying the rent plus fees, what is the big hurt to the property? Honestly, in washington state, is it really a bad to receive double the amount for the apartment?

Law Office of Mark A. Chmelewski, PS
Law Office of Mark A. Chmelewski, PS | Mark A. Chmelewski
It depends on the language of your lease agreement with tenant. You need to retain counsel promptly to protect your interests.
Frances R. Johnson
Frances R. Johnson | Frances R. Johnson
Generally, whether or not you can evict your tenant is governed by what the lease says. If the lease is valid under the law, and the lease provides you can initiate eviction proceedings for being late on the rent, that is what would control. You should consult an attorney in your area for a more thorough response. Often times, attorneys are willing to provide a free initial consultation.