Can I legally defend myself in Massachusetts if I am the defendant in an auto accident case? 2 Answers as of February 07, 2011

Should my insurance cover a lawsuit for bills coming from a wreck three years ago? I rear-ended a car after its driver slammed on his brakes, and the driver did not appear to suffer from injuries. He even declined going to the doctor. Last month, I got notice that the driver claims to have a $50,000 bill for pain and suffering, even though all the damage to his car was just a dented bumper and minor scratch.

The Law Offices of Jason Chan
The Law Offices of Jason Chan | Jason Chan
Call your insurance company. They should be the ones defending you.
Law Office of Joseph Lamy
Law Office of Joseph Lamy | Joseph Lamy
Yes you can legally defend yourself but there is no reason. If you have an active insurance policy then the insurance company will pay for an attorney to defend your case. If you believe that the injury being presented is fraudulent you will have an opportunity to testify at Court as to the lack of injury at the scene.