Can I legally change my name if I am applying for a green card? 2 Answers as of November 10, 2010

My brother helped me apply for a green card and it has been a year and I am still waiting but I also want to legally change my name after some recent events that occurred within our family. Will I have to go through the green card process again if I change my name before I hear back?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Pacifica Legal Services
Pacifica Legal Services | Floyd Fernandez
There is no problem. Get the change of name court order, notify CIS or the consular processing office (probably the National Visa Center), and notify them by phone. They will direct you to send a copy of the court order changing your name, and send an AR-11 Form, If you have further questions, by all means give me a call or e-mail me.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/10/2010
Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny
Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny | Svetlana Boukhny
As long as you can trace the name as it was when you were born and when your brother petitioned for you to the name you will have when you are ready to get the immigrant visa, you should be fine.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/4/2010
Click to View More Answers: