Can I legalize my boyfriend? 4 Answers as of May 16, 2011

My boyfriend has been here for over 8 yrs illegally. We want to get married. How can I legalize him? Will it be better to get married here or in Mexico?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Oltarsh and Associates, PC
Oltarsh and Associates, PC | Jennifer Oltarsh
How did your boyfriend enter? Where are his parents? If he entered across the border he likely is not eligible to adjust in this country. If he leaves, he will be barred for 10 years. You may have to wait and see if Obama changes the law. I have been practicing for over 15 years. Our immigration law firm has been in the immigration field for more than 45 years. We have handled cases with experience, integrity, and good effect. We offer payment plans with no interest.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 5/16/2011
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
Get married in Mexico and file an I-130 for him. Have a good waiver ready for him for when the time to file it comes. I just had a case where the Consulate imposed a 10-year bar on a person who was never deported from the US but had multiple entries to the US without a visa. They probably found this out from the marriage records and other official us and state government records. I think that's a bit harsh and probably uncalled for. So weigh that in your decision and please consult an attorney to map out your soon to be husband's way back to the US. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/13/2011
Pacifica Legal Services
Pacifica Legal Services | Floyd Fernandez
You need to be married to him, if you are a US citizen, for you to be eligible to petition for him. You would then have to demonstrate that an extreme and extraordinary hardship exists, for him to be able to waive his present "inadmissible" status.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/13/2011
The Jarrett Firm, LLC
The Jarrett Firm, LLC | Patrick Jarrett
If your boyfriend has been in the United States in unlawful status for more than one year, leaving the country will trigger a ten year bar for reentry under the INA. Under the INA, over six months of unlawful status triggers a three year bar from reentry and over one year of unlawful status triggers a ten year bar. Your question cannot be answered accurately without more information. I recommend speaking with an immigration attorney regarding your situation to determine what your options are.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 5/12/2011
Click to View More Answers: