Can I leave the US to go to Mexico for vacation while on F-1 visa? 5 Answers as of December 16, 2013

I am a German citizen and currently in the US on an F-1 student visa. I would like to go to Mexico for a one-week vacation, leaving from/returning to the US. Am I legally allowed to do so?

If you have a valid F-1 visa and are a student at a school with a valid I-20, you should be able to go to Mexico and return to the US.
Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law
Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law | Christian Schmidt
That would be not a problem if your F visa is still valid, you have a properly endorsed I-20, and come back to continue your studies.
Coane and Associates
Coane and Associates | Bruce Coane
Generally, every visa holder is free to leave the USA. The real question is whether you can get back in, and of course that's up to the discretion of the officer at the port of entry. Any person desiring to come back will want to make sure that they are not inadmissible, that they have proper entry papers (visa, etc), and in the case of a student, their I-20, student ID, maybe transcript and proof they are registered full-time for next semester, etc.
The answer depends upon whether your visa is still valid and you have been maintaining your non-immigrant status.
Ben T. Liu Law Office
Ben T. Liu Law Office | Ben T. Liu
Should be able to but you may need a visa to enter Mexico.