Can i leave the country if my spouse visa is expired? 4 Answers as of February 03, 2011

Am I allowed to leave the country if my spouse visa for USA is expired without any legal proceeding?

I am not sure what you are calling the "spouse visa." You can always leave but you may want to check with an immigration attorney if you are interested in coming back to advise you on your rights especially if you have overstayed your visa. If you're I-94 card still has time left you may leave and surrender it at the border and should be fine to return in any other category for which you are eligible.
Hugo Florido ESQ.
Hugo Florido ESQ. | Hugo Florido
You are allowed to leave, but returning might be difficult.
So, assuming your U.S. citizen spouse has filed the necessary paperwork to adjust your status to lawful permanent residency, you will need to apply for advance parole from the district office handling your case that will allow you to leave and return to the United States pending a final decision on your residency status.
If you are the spouse whose visa is expiring, and if you leave, you have to wait for green card to arrive before you can come back. Good luck!