Can I keep my kids during the divorce process with help from a lawyer? 4 Answers as of July 09, 2015

Can I ensure that the custody during the process will be fair? My husband and I just separated, and I have brought our children with me to live my parents home after separating.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Martin A. Kahan | Martin A. Kahan
Yes, you should consult with a family law attorney.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/9/2015
Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
After 32 years as a lawyer, I can tell that no one can guaranty they can make the system treat you fairly. Having an experienced family law attorney advise and represent you, however, can increase your chances of prevailing. So I certainly suggest you find a skilled lawyer to help you. You could try online (using one of several services, including, for example, or the yellow pages, or your state bar's lawyer referral and information service.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 7/9/2015
Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A.
Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A. | Joanna Mitchell
Hiring an attorney can absolutely help you protect and obtain your rights as they pertain to your children. An attorney can also help make sure other rights and options are protected, such as the appropriate division of any and all assets and any other financial considerations. You should talk with an attorney before making any decisions as to how to proceed.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 7/8/2015
David A. Browde, P.C.
David A. Browde, P.C. | David Browde
There are no guarantees, with or without an attorney. However it would be prudent to discuss your situation with an attorney - and possibly to combine seeking custody with your divorce filing.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 7/8/2015
Click to View More Answers: