Can I keep my green card valid in another country? 4 Answers as of September 24, 2010

How long is it possible for me to keep my green card valid while living outside of the United States?

I have received your e-mail. The short answer is that you need to continue to retain residency within the United States for at least 2 1/2 years out of the first 5 years of your legal residency, at least 2 1/2 years out of the 5 years preceding an application for naturalized citizenship, and for no more than 6 months at any one time. That is not to mean you have to physically be in country for that long, you have to demonstrate residency (required ties to the country). That is something to discuss in a consultation, should that be necessary, either by phone or in person. With that in mind, you may be able to renew your green card while outside the country, but it is not advisable. If you want to get in touch to discuss your case, you may e-mail or call.
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office | Jack C. Sung
You may travel out of the US for less than one year without a problem. If you wish to stay outside of the US for more than one year and do not want to lose your green card, then you can apply for a re-entry permit, which will be valid for 2 years.
You cannot be outside the US for more than 6 months without losing your status.