Can I keep my credit cards if I am filing for bankruptcy? 24 Answers as of June 22, 2011

I am in the process of filing for bankruptcy and I am wondering if I could still keep my credit cards? There are more payments that I need to take care and I am not sure if I can get enough money in time.

Mercado & Hartung, PLLC | Christopher J. Mercado
Credit card debt is dischargeable in BK. Once you file and go through the process you will no longer be personally liable for them.
Financial Relief Law Center
Financial Relief Law Center | Mark Alonso
You cannot keep your credit cards when you are filing bankruptcy.
No, once you file Bankruptcy you may not keep any of your credit cards. The card issuer will automatically cancel the cards.
Most banks will cancel your cards when you file bankruptcy, but if they let you keep it, then you can use it.
Rosenberg & Press
Rosenberg & Press | Max L. Rosenberg
It is a mistake for you to try to pay off your credit cards immediately prior to filing bankruptcy. This is called preferential treatment of a creditor and is grounds for entitling other creditors to overcome a full discharge of debt. In other words, don't do it. It's bad. You do not necessarily lose your credit cards because of filing. Some cards may maintain your account regardless of discharge. In other words, business is business. Thanks for tuning in!
    Bankruptcy Law Office of Robert Weed
    Bankruptcy Law Office of Robert Weed | Robert Weed
    Not telling the court about all the cards you owe money to is lying to the court. That's not a good idea. Even if you pay some of your cards down to zero, most of them will see the BK on your credit report and cancel you.
    Symmes Law Group, PLLC
    Symmes Law Group, PLLC | Richard James Symmes
    When you file bankruptcy, all debts must be included in your bankruptcy, so no, you cannot keep your credit cards.
    Bird & VanDyke, Inc.
    Bird & VanDyke, Inc. | David VanDyke
    No. You cannot keep using credit cards if you file bankruptcy.
    Law Offices of Michael J. Berger
    Law Offices of Michael J. Berger | Michael J. Berger
    No. You are required by law to list all of your debts in your bankruptcy schedules. Even if you do not list your credit card debt, or if you have zero balances on your cards, the credit card companies will find out about your bankruptcy filing and will most likely cancel your credit cards. You can still use debit cards before, during and after your bankruptcy, something that recommend.
    Ursula G. Barrios Law
    Ursula G. Barrios Law | Guillermo Machado
    Not typically.
    The Law Office of Brian Nomi
    The Law Office of Brian Nomi | Brian H. Nomi
    Your credit cards will most likely be canceled a few days after you file for bankruptcy, even if you don't list them in your bankruptcy. BK will ruin your credit, and it is reported to all 3 credit bureaus. For further information, its best to consult with an experienced attorney. Any good attorney will give you a free initial consultation.
    Highly unlikely that the credit card companies will allow you to keep your credit cards, even if you pay them off in full. If you are in my area, please contact me for a free consultation.
    Jackson White, PC
    Jackson White, PC | Spencer Hale
    You will not be able to keep any credit cards.
    When you file for bankruptcy all debts must be listed. Your credit cards should be destroyed because you are not allowed to keep them.
    Almost all credit cards will terminate your credit card due to the filing of a bankruptcy case.
    Law Office of Maureen O' Malley
    Law Office of Maureen O' Malley | Maureen O'Malley
    The purpose of filing bankruptcy is to eliminate debt. Your creditors are not your friends and do not have your best interests at heart. So stop the "few more payments," retain counsel, and get yourself a fresh start.
    Benson Law Firm
    Benson Law Firm | David Benson
    Not likely. And why in the world would you want to since they are probably not attractive loan arrangements anyway?
    In a Chapter 13 you MUST get rid of all your cards. While a Chapter 7 does not require that, in most cases your lenders will cancel your cards almost right away. There are occasional rare exceptions. Discuss this with your lawyer.