Can I keep my back pay after filing for chapter 13 bankruptcy? 6 Answers as of November 18, 2016

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Ronald K. Nims LLC | Ronald K. Nims
It depends how much back pay you're going to receive. If it's $5,000, it's likely the trustee will want some turned over. If it's $500, it's probably all exempt and/or too little for the trustee to be concerned about.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 11/18/2016
Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
If you can exempt it.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 11/16/2016
GARCIA & GONZALES, P.C. | Richard N. Gonzales
Without reviewing a single piece of paper, I would hazard a guess and say "yes".
Answer Applies to: Colorado
Replied: 11/16/2016
Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney
Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney | Janet Lawson
I don't know enough about your case or the order of confirmation to answer that. You need to ask local counsel to look at your paper work.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/16/2016
A Fresh Start
A Fresh Start | Dorothy G Bunce
In Chapter 13, you never forfeit assets. Instead, in Chapter 13, you pay back the LIQUIDATION VALUE of assets not covered by exemptions to the trustee to pay your debts. You may want to claim an exemption on at least a portion of your back pay as allowed by state laws.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 11/16/2016
    Garner Law Office
    Garner Law Office | Daniel Garner
    This is a question requiring a great deal more information about your case before it can be answered. If you do not already have a lawyer, you should get one immediately because chapter 13 is quite complicated.
    Answer Applies to: Oregon
    Replied: 11/16/2016
Click to View More Answers: