Can I keep investment assets if I get a divorce? 14 Answers as of June 11, 2013

Can after 30 yrs can you divorce but keep 50 % of assets investment in assets?

Maybe. Probably, if you there are enough other assets to balance out and "pay" if you will for what you want to accomplish.There is really no way to accurately answer your question without much more information.The court in Washington is required to identify the amount of your separate and community assets and debts and to make a fair and equitable division of your debts and assets. If these investment assets are your only asset, and your spouse has much lower income and a financial future than you, it will be hard to keep them unless you have something to provide your spouse in exchange to make your keeping the asset "fair and equitable." The nature of the property (community or separate), the amount of other assets, the child support if any, the maintenance if any, your future earning capacities, your ages and health,the length of your marriage and any other relevant factors can be considered by the Court in deciding what you ask. Good luck. - Glenn Confidential Communication If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender at once by reply or by telephone.
Law Office of Martin Blank
Law Office of Martin Blank | Martin E. Blank
Generally yes. However, all asset divisions depend on the circumstances.
Fox Law Firm LLC
Fox Law Firm LLC | Tina Fox
Yes there is a way of keeping your investments intake even if divorcing. I encourage you to contact our office to set up an appointment for a free 30 minute consultation to discuss the specifics of your marital situation.
DiManna Law Office, LLC.
DiManna Law Office, LLC. | Dawn DiManna
That will depend on many other factors, but it is possible.
In a divorce assets are subject to "equitable" jurisdiction or what the court considers "fair." with nothing more in your post, yes. Further if they were not used as a part of the marital estate, you may be able to keep them all, however, after a 30 yr marriage you have potential to maintain 50% of the investment assets.
    Assets can be divided in kind - It is not necessary to liquidate assets to divide them. Net community property is divided 50/50. If you divide all net assets 50/50, that accomplishes the task. If one party receives more net assets than the other, an equalization payment must be made to equalize the disparity.
    In genera,l the longer the marriage the more probably that the assets were acquired during the marriage and as such would be subject to equitable division and an equal division is the place to start. If you wish to discuss further let me know.
    Attorney Paul Lancia
    Attorney Paul Lancia | Paul Lancia
    Edwin Fahlen Attorney at Law
    Edwin Fahlen Attorney at Law | Edwin Fahlen
    If the assets are community property, they will be divided equally as long as they can be physically divided. Therefore, each asset has its own characteristics. However, even if an asset cannot be divided, the value can be divided economically.
    In California, community property is to be divided up equally between the parties. It is possible, further, to settle on a division that provides more of one asset to one party in exchange for an unequal division of other assets to the other side. If you are in my area and are looking for an attorney, please contact me for a free consultation.
    The law in New Jersey is an equitable split of assets. Usually, that means a 50/50 split. There are some exceptions, so I can not tell you for sure. But usually, that is it. We need to talk it over in detail. Give me a call, make an appointment to come see me, and let's get moving on this for you. No charge for the telephone call and no charge for the first office visit.