Can I intervene in a probate matter if it is still pending? 6 Answers as of June 02, 2014

I recently discovered that my stepmother's estate is still open. She died 8 years ago. I assume it has been contested by her children. I am a stepdaughter and most of what she had was from my father who died in 1998. Her estate was to go to charity according to her will and I assumed that is where it went. Is there any notice requirement to other heirs in law if a will is contested? It is ready to be settled. Is it too late for me to intervene?

Law Offices of Jeffery L. Fanto
Law Offices of Jeffery L. Fanto | Jeffery L. Fanto
At first blush you are probably long past the ability to file a claim. You may be able to contest whether the deceased's wishes are being followed.
Frederick & Frederick PLC | James P Frederick
You may be able to find out what was done, but you would not be considered to be an heir of your stepmother under Michigan law. Since probate files are public, you can review the file by going to the court and requesting to see the file. You can make copies of anything there. It may not tell you exactly what has transpired, but you will get a fairly good idea.
Hamblin Law Office | Sally Hamblin
Sorry to say that you being a step child, you are not an heir to your step mothers estate. Your father being married, his estate generally goes to his wife at the time of his death. If he had a will and devised assets to you, then you may have been entitled to those. But now, you are not an heir and not required to have notice. There are exceptions, but based on what you stated, they may not apply to you.
Without many more facts it is impossible to answer your question. You should at least confer with an attorney.
Ben T. Liu Law Office
Ben T. Liu Law Office | Ben T. Liu
If you are an heir, you should have been notified by the personal representative. You can contact that person or attorney to see if you are an heir.
    Law Offices of Ezra N. Goldman
    Law Offices of Ezra N. Goldman | Ezra Goldman
    From what you said, I do not see that you have standing to intervene anyway. It doesn't matter if her estate stemmed from your dad's. Once she inherited him, that's it those things are hers. You are not a party to this at all.