Can I include my debt to the college I attend in a chapter 7? 14 Answers as of March 31, 2014

I owe the college that I attend money for withdrawing from classes to late. I would like file the debt in a chapter 7, is this possible?

EDWARD P RUSSELL | EDWARD P RUSSELL
It doesn't sound like a student so it should be dischargeable.
You should include it, although it may not be dischargeable.
Yes, and including all of your debt is required. They can however refuse to let you take additional classes in the future.
Maybe. If the school is a "private school", this could be an issue. Include all debts, whether you think you owe them or not. Discuss the issue of student loans and the dischargeability of these obligations with your current attorney. If you are filing pro se, contact an experienced attorney and pay for one hour of their time before you file. Have them review your docuyments with you, and discuss this issue with him or her.
Depends if this is a government guaranteed loan or a loan from an unaccredited college?
    Law Office of Marlin Branstetter
    Law Office of Marlin Branstetter | Marlin Branstetter
    If it is not student loan money it should be discharged in bankruptcy.
    Goldsmith & Guymon | Marjorie Guymon
    Student loan debt is nondischargeable in bankruptcy. That being said, you must include all debt in your bankruptcy filing. Some debt will be nondischargeable and remain owing while other debt will be discharged.
    Yes, as these are debts owed directly to a college and not a student loan.
    The Orantes Law Firm
    The Orantes Law Firm | Giovanni Orantes
    Most likely unless you are referring to debt incurred as a loan to fund your college education, which requires a showing of undue hardship. Undue hardship is a very difficult threshold to meet and you should consult experienced counsel to assess whether you may be able to discharge such debt in a bankruptcy petition.
    Garner Law Office
    Garner Law Office | Daniel Garner
    It is necessary to include all creditors in your bankruptcy whether the debt can be discharged or not. In your case, it is unlikely that it would be discharged. However, if you need to file Chapter 7 anyway, you might as well try to discharge it and see what the college does. You may have to initiate an adversary proceeding within your bankruptcy case to determine the dischargeability, however, so that would add to the cost of your bankruptcy.
    Tuition owed to a college is dischargeable. Student loans are not dischargeable but tuition isn't a student loan. So, you can file the tuition in a Chapter 7.
    Law Office of Pho Ethan Tran PLLC
    Law Office of Pho Ethan Tran PLLC | Pho Ethan Tran
    The debt should always be listed on your Chapter 7 schedules. But whether it can be discharged will depend. If the debt qualifies as a student loan, then it cannot be discharged in chapter 7.
    Thomas Vogele & Associates, APC | Thomas A. Vogele
    In a Chapter 7, you may discharge all debts except those arising from indebtedness related to education, such as your question.
    If you're considering bankruptcy I would strongly suggest that you counsel with an attorney before you take any irrevocable action.