Can I immigrate my husband if he was deported? 3 Answers as of May 09, 2011

My husband was deported last year in the US. Can I petition for him a visa to come back to the US? He first came to the US as a child, went to school here but got in trouble with the police, he does have 2 felonies for drug possessions(personal use) dated back in 1986 and 1987. He also has a DUI conviction dated 2010. What are my options?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Devore Law Group, P.A.
Devore Law Group, P.A. | Jeffrey A. Devore
Unfortunately with two drug possession convictions and a deportation order your husband is permanently inadmissible to the United States.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 5/9/2011
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
Yes you can but it is going to take some time and some doing. Drug convictions and DUI felonies can be crimes involving moral turpitude (in a nutshell acts that are morally reprehensible and frowned upon by society. It is more complicated than that). You can file a petition for him and wait until the visa becomes available for him to get an immigrant visa outside the US. I will suggest that he begin rehabilitation for both drugs and alcohol with frequent testing so that he can document that for a waiver at the appropriate time. You may have to wait a long time to get your husband back, the law states that if you are removed from the US, you will have to wait 10 years outside the US prior to re-applying for admission.

Depending on the positive things (equities) that he can show in his waiver application in order to be admitted back in the US, he may spend less time outside the US. But this is really a job for an attorney. I would never recommend you do this yourself. So, see an aggressive competent attorney to plan and strategize about your options. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/6/2011
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law | Linda Liang
He needs to get a waiver before he can be admissible. Talk to a lawyer.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 5/5/2011
Click to View More Answers: