Can I hold my landlord responsible for lost items? Posted on July 20, 2011

I live in an apartment complex. Our washer malfunctioned and we were given the option of washing in another apartment in our complex. The apartment was across the street on the third floor. For several days we washed loads of clothes there. We were given a key to that apartment and were also told that no one would be using that apartment. However, several maintenance team members were in and out of the apartment. At one point, a painting crew and a cleaning crew were in and out of the apartment too. It turns out the cleaning crew threw out of our clothes!! We also had an antique and priceless chair that belonged to my fiancee. The chair was given to him many years ago. The chair is priceless. We met with the property manager and she seemed very concerned and admitted fault. We were asked to itemize our losses and a list was provided to them. But, now management is asking for receipts. We don't have receipts for our clothes. How could we predict this would ever happen and save receipts for items we have purchased over a period of time? The management team will not refund the cost of our items. Please advice and help.