Can I hire a personal injury lawyer with no out of pocket expense? 37 Answers as of November 27, 2012

How much is a personal injury lawyer?

Law Office of Travis Prestwich, PC
Law Office of Travis Prestwich, PC | Travis Prestwich
Most personal injury lawyers charge based on a contingent fee. This means you generally have no out-of-pocket expense as the fees and any costs are deducted from the settlement and are paid on a percentage basis.
Most personal injury lawyers work on a contingency fee, meaning you pay no fees up front. The lawyer takes a percentage of any recovery as a fee.
E. Ray Critchett, LLC
E. Ray Critchett, LLC | Ray Critchett
Many personal injury attorneys will agree to accept a case on a contingency fee basis which usually does not require any initial payment from the client. The decision on whether or not to accept a case on a contingency fee basis will depend on the facts of your particular case. You may contact our office to schedule an appointment if you have further questions or if you need assistance with this issue. You can also schedule an appointment or obtain additional information at our website. Thank you.
Most personal injury lawyers work on a contingent fee basis, and advance the costs of bringing the claim (i.e., the cost of obtaining medical records, accident reports, court filing fees, etc.). In Florida, the usual contingent fee is 1/3 if the case can be settled without filing suit, and 40% if a lawsuit becomes necessary.
The Connelly Firm P.C.
The Connelly Firm P.C. | Thomas Connelly
Most personal injury lawyers work on contingency, meaning they are paid for their time out of any award or settlement. They will usually front your litigation costs (i.e. filing fees), and reimburse themselves out of the settlement or award when the case is over. My policy is simple: no fee or costs unless you win.
    Premier Law Group
    Premier Law Group | Jason Epstein
    You should take a look at my book which is on Amazon.com but is available at no charge to Washington residents. The short answer is that most auto accident lawyers will work on your case for you for nothing up front and the attorney fee would be contingent upon the ultimate recovery. Most lawyers charge 1/3 of whatever they ultimately recover from the insurance companies. The studies that have been done show that this is still a great deal for you because the lawyer will be able to get you more than enough extra to cover their fee and put additional money in your pocket. You can also check out my websites.
    Bloom Gates Sigler & Whiteleather, LLP
    Bloom Gates Sigler & Whiteleather, LLP | Matthew Shipman
    The short answer to your question is that it depends. Most personal injury attorneys do not require any out of pocket expenses to handle your personal injury matter, however, there are some attorneys that I have heard of that do. I handle all types of personal injury matters and do not require my clients to pay out of pocket expenses. If you are interested in a free consultation, do not hesitate to give me a call.
    Diana K. Zilko, Attorney at Law
    Diana K. Zilko, Attorney at Law | Diana K. Zilko
    Yes. Every injury case I handle is done on a contingency-fee basis, meaning, I get a fee out of what I recover for you. If I don't make a recovery, I don't earn a fee. The only costs the client is responsible for are out-of-pocket expenses such as filing fees if a lawsuit has to be filed, copy charges for obtaining medical records, and other similar expenses. Typically the attorney pays those fees when they arise, and then is reimbursed when the case is settled or an award is obtained. If you have any further questions, please let me know.
    Tomalas Law Firm
    Tomalas Law Firm | Ryan Tomalas
    Our office, and most personal injury lawyers, work on what is known as a contingency fee basis. This means that our clients never pay us "out-of-pocket," rather our fee is based on a percentage of the recovery which we generate on our client's behalf. (Our fee is deducted from the total settlement amount when your case is resolved.) One of the benefits of this type of fee arrangement is that we are incentivized to direct our clients to do all of the things that help maximize the "value" of their claim. If you are interested in having us evaluate your potential claim please contact us at (949) 756-8711; the consultation is free.
    Most PI attorneys will take a case on contingency fee basis which is usually 1/3 of the settlement or judgment and does not require any upfront money.
    Harris Law Firm
    Harris Law Firm | Lauren Schmidt-Dipaola
    Yes, you can often hire a personal injury attorney without any out of pocket expense. If a personal injury agrees to take your case they generally use a contingency fee agreement. A contingency agreement means that the lawyer usually does not get paid until your case is settled. The fee is generally 1/3 of whatever money you receive for your case.
    The Law Office of Eric R. Chandler, P.C., L.L.O.
    The Law Office of Eric R. Chandler, P.C., L.L.O. | Eric R. Chandler
    Yes, pretty much all injury lawyers work on a contingency fee (the attorney only gets paid if you get paid). You may be responsible for costs associated with your claim or lawsuit; however many injury lawyers will front those expenses and deduct them later from the settlement or verdict.
    Lacy Fields, Attorney at Law, LLC
    Lacy Fields, Attorney at Law, LLC | Lacy Fields
    Most the time, personal injuries are taken on a "contingency" basis. This means that the attorney fronts all of the costs for the case (which you repay later), and agrees to be paid out of your winnings. This amount is often high (usually the attorney will take 30% or more of your winnings) because the attorney is taking the risk that you may lose and the attorney will recover nothing (i.e. attorney never gets paid for all his/her time AND is out all the money for costs).

There are other possible arrangements but they can be tricky.

For example, if I think a case is worth $30,000 and will cost me very little out of pocket, I will agree to take the 30%. If however, the case is only worth (for example) $4,000 and it will cost me $500-$1000 out of pocket, it isn't worth my time or the risk we would lose. In cases like that, I will explain the situation to the client and give them another option: You pay all of the costs and I will agree to work on the case. This is not very different than above, because you ultimately have to pay all of the costs anyway if we win. The only difference is that you would have to come up with $500 - $1000 before I would start working on the case. There are also mixed retainer/contingency cases where you have to pay the attorney some money for his/her time (for example a one-time payment of $1,000) and perhaps front the costs before he/she will take the case. It all comes down to the strength of your case and how much money is involved.
    Harris Law Firm
    Harris Law Firm | Paul Vames
    If you've been injured as a result the fault of another party, you should consult with a personal injury lawyer. Most personal injury lawyers base their fee on a percentage of the amount they are able to recover for you from the opposing party or that party's insurer. Incidental costs of presenting the claim or litigating the matter are often advanced by your attorney's office and are later reimbursed out of the proceeds of a judgment or settlement.
    Magnuson Lowell P.S.
    Magnuson Lowell P.S. | Richard S. Lowell
    Under most circumstances, the answer is "Yes." You should contact a qualified personal injury attorney - such as me - and arrange for a free consultation or meeting.
    Of course. The fees are called contingent because they are contingent on recovery for you. They range from about 25 to 50 percent based on the liability and damages issues. What kind of case do you have and what are your dollar losses? I can answer more precisely if I knew those things. The typical case in a personal injury is commonly at 33 percent.
    Patrick M Lamar Attorney
    Patrick M Lamar Attorney | Patrick M Lamar
    Yes you can hire a personal injury lawyer without any expense out of pocket. Most personal injury lawyers do work on a contingency fee basis. You do not pay them anything unless you get money from the case. If you do have a recovery the lawyers generally charge between 15
    and 40 percent of the recovery depending on what type of case it is and how involved it is. You will also have to pay the lawyer back for any out of pocket expenses including deposition costs, expert witness fees, etc. If you have further questions please contact us at any time.
    Miller & Harrison, LLC
    Miller & Harrison, LLC | David Harrison
    Most personal injury lawyers will handle your case for a percentage of what they can recover from the other side as the attorney fee. However, expenses associated with the case normally are the obligation of the client. Therefore some lawyers require a deposit to cover the costs. Others will pay the costs up front and then repay themselves from your portion of the settlement. Talk to a couple of lawyers and hire one you are comfortable with.
    Most if not all PI attorneys do not charge attorneys fees unless there is a recovery; then the fees come out of the recovery. The costs incurred are also taken out of the recovery; but the client can be responsible for those in the event there is no recovery. Many cases are resolved before any great costs are incurred (such as filing fees, marshal fees, depositions, etc.). If you have any further questions about this feel free to inquire father. Good luck.
    LT Pepper Law
    LT Pepper Law | Luke T. Pepper
    Most personal injury lawyer including this firm do not charge for costs and the fee is covered by what is called a "contingent fee" A contingent fee is charged and is a percentage of the recovery made. If there is no recovery made, there is no charge for costs and services rendered.
    Wilson & Hajek,LLC, a personal injury law firm
    Wilson & Hajek,LLC, a personal injury law firm | Francis Hajek
    Your question is interesting because some lawyers do charge up front for expenses. Sometimes, a request fro initial payment of expenses is based on a determination of the strength of the case. However, I think a lot of lawyers, myself included, do not charge the client anything until the case is resolved successfully. Usually, a fee will be a third of the recovery plus expenses. I would ask the lawyer what he or she charges as items of expense. Some lawyers charge for everything including postage and copies. I take a more limited view of expenses and limit the charge to such items as court cost and medical records expenses. So the answer to your question is yes, you can hire a lawyer with no out of pocket expenses.
    Law Office of Mark J. Leonardo
    Law Office of Mark J. Leonardo | Mark Leonardo
    All attorneys fees are negotiable with the exception of medical malpractice cases which has a sliding scale maximum fee schedule per statute. For typical personal injury cases (car accidents, slip and falls, assault & battery cases), most lawyers commonly charge 1/3 of the recovery to start, and at a certain point the fee may increase to 40 or 45%. Again, such fees are negotiable and some lawyers may charge more or less. Usually there is no fee if there is no recovery. Some lawyers charge a non-refundable fee up front, but most do not for personal injury cases. Personal injury cases, like other litigation matters, have costs. There are filing fees, messenger fees, process server expenses, deposition court reporter costs, postage expenses, expert fees, photocopying expenses, fax expenses, computer research charges, jury fees, just to name a few. Some lawyers will advance the costs for a case and get reimbursed out of the proceeds of the recovery, thus they take their fee plus the costs out of the recovery. Some lawyers do not and require the client to pay for the costs as the case moves along, or they may require that the big expenses are paid by the client (e.g., filing fees, deposition costs and expert fees). If the case is lost, the client typically pays no fee for the attorneys services, but should be obligated to reimburse the attorney for the costs advanced. Some lawyers waive or reduce the costs if the case is lost while others do not.
    Van Sant & Slover LLC
    Van Sant & Slover LLC | David Van Sant
    Typically you do not have to pay out of pocket for a personal injury lawyer. The lawyer's fees are taken from the settlement proceeds only have the case has been resolved. However, you will need to read the fee agreement carefully to make sure this is the case. My fee agreeable clearly and specifically states that my client does not owe anything until the case has been satisfactorily resolved.
    The Law Offices of Jason Chan
    The Law Offices of Jason Chan | Jason Chan
    It is possible. Depends on the case.
    The Law Offices of Robert A. Levine
    The Law Offices of Robert A. Levine | Michael G. Levine
    Many personal injury cases are handled on a contingent fee basis. What that means is that what ever the lawyer recovers he will keep a third (or more or less depending on the lawyer) plus costs. Many attorneys will advertise you pay nothing if you lose. Be sure to ask about costs if they are billable regardless of the outcome.
    Lyle B. Masnikoff and Associates
    Lyle B. Masnikoff and Associates | Lyle B. Masnikoff
    Yes. It's free to hire a personal injury attorney. We work on a contingency fee which means we get paid a percentage of the settlement at the end of the case. Usually around 33 percent.
    Dack Marasigan, LLP
    Dack Marasigan, LLP | Martin E. Dack, Esq
    Yes, since personal injury attorneys only get paid if the client receives money from those responsible for causing them harm.
    Law Offices of Geoffrey Nwosu
    Law Offices of Geoffrey Nwosu | Geoffrey Nwosu
    Sure, most personal injury lawyers accept injury cases on a contingency basis. This means that the attorney will not charge you any fee until they recover for you. It also means that the attorney will not make any money if they fail to recover money for you.

Here, the consultation with the personal injury lawyer is free. The attorney will also pay any fee that will be incurred during trial, litigation or settlement. The attorney's fee will be a percentage of what he recovers from the party who injured you.

At the law office of Geoffrey c. Nwosu located in San jose, California, we accept personal injury cases on a contingency basis.
    Cary J. Wintroub & Associates
    Cary J. Wintroub & Associates | Sheldon J. Aberman
    Yes. While personal injury attorney-client agreements can vary, typically, personal injury attorneys charge one-third of the recovery, plus expenses.
    El Dabe Law Firm
    El Dabe Law Firm | Edmond El Dabe
    Yes, contact me. I do not charge anything up front and only request fees only if I win your case.
    Peckar & Abramson, P.C.
    Peckar & Abramson, P.C. | David Scriven-Young
    If you have a good case, you can hire a lawyer who will front all of the costs for the lawsuit. After you get a settlement or a judgment (from judge or jury), the lawyer will take 30-40% plus the costs. If you have other questions or would like to speak regarding your case, give me a call or send an e-mail. Thanks.
    Cary J. Wintroub & Associates
    Cary J. Wintroub & Associates | Cary J. Wintroub
    Yes. Personal Injury law is unique. As attorneys we charge you nothing unless we collect proceeds to compensate you for your injury. Our firm never settles cases without your approval. Please call or write if we can be of service.
    Sheridan & Murray
    Sheridan & Murray | Thomas Sheridan
    Yes. Most personal injury lawyers including my firm handle cases on a contingency. This means that the law firm takes a percentage of the amount recovered (typically one-third to 40%) depending on the type of case. My law firm advances any file costs and only recovers them if the case is successful. So, in the unlikely event that the case is not successful, the client does not owe our firm any fees or file costs. Every firm has different terms. I would be happy to discuss your case at no expense to you. Feel free to email me or call.
12 3 4 5 6 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney