Can I help my stepfather get his work permit renewed? 4 Answers as of June 14, 2011

My stepfather had a work permit since 1988. He recently reapplied for the permit but it seems he was denied. He had been paying his taxes and never committed any crimes. I am a 21 year old U.S. citizen and I wanted to know if there was a way I could help him gain his U.S. citizenship or at least receive the renewal.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Oltarsh and Associates, PC
Oltarsh and Associates, PC | Jennifer Oltarsh
When did your mother marry your stepfather? How old were you when your mother applied for your stepfather? Is your mother a U.S. citizen? I have been in practice in the immigration field for more than 40 years. I have handled cases with experience, integrity, and good effect. Please call me to discuss your case. The assigned number for your free case evaluation: 0613d. We offer payment plans with no interest.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 6/14/2011
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
What was the basis of his work renewal from 1988 until now? If the stepparent relationship was created before your 18th birthday you can petition for him as an immediate relative. Whether he is eligible to adjust status or must process overseas can only be determined once I know the complete immigration history for him. Contact my office as indicated below if you would like a consultation. We do charge for consultations but fees paid for the consult are then credited toward the fees for your case if we are retained thereafter.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/13/2011
Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law
Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law | Eric Mark
It depends why the renewal was denied. You also may be able to petition for him to get a green card. Much more information is needed. Consult with an immigration attorney. Call me if you'd like.
Answer Applies to: New Jersey
Replied: 6/13/2011
Fong & Associates
Fong & Associates | William D. Fong
If you qualify as a step-child, in that you were less than 18 years old at the time your parents married, then you can petition for him. Depending on how he entered the US, what filings he made and any other immigration or criminal violations, he may need to apply for an immigrant visa at his home consulate. What is the basis for his "work permit"?
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 6/13/2011
Click to View More Answers: