Can I help my step dad get a green card? 5 Answers as of May 16, 2011

My parents have been together since I was 4. But they got married 7 years ago and I am 18 now. Can I help my step dad get his green card?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
The Jarrett Firm, LLC
The Jarrett Firm, LLC | Patrick Jarrett
In order for you to file on behalf of your stepdad, you have to be over the age of 21. The rule provides that in order for a United States Citizen to petition on behalf of a parent (which includes a stepparent relationship), the petitioner must be over 21 years of age. Do you have other siblings that may be able to petition for him? You should speak with immigration counsel to determine whether you have any other options.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 5/16/2011
Pacifica Legal Services
Pacifica Legal Services | Floyd Fernandez
You cannot file for your stepfather, for you are not directly related and cannot even qualify indirectly (derivatively). Also, you as a US citizen must be at least 21. But your mother could, if they are still married and she is a citizen. I would need to know more. Please feel free to call when you have the opportunity.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/16/2011
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
Yes but you will have to wait until you turn 21 in order to be able to do it. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/16/2011
Law Offices of Caro Kinsella
Law Offices of Caro Kinsella | Caro Kinsella, Esq.
Yes you can petition for your step-dad; but you must be a U.S. Citizen and you must also be over 21 years old.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 5/16/2011
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
As long as the marriage took place before you turned 18, he is your "dad" for immigration purpose. However, you need to be 21 (and American citizen-You did not mentioned your status) in order to start the process for him. Other important admissibility issues to consider: Does he have a legal entry (with passport and / or visa and or / border crossing card)? Does he have any criminal issue(s)? Any fraudulent immigration paperwork submitted in the past? Any deportation? The list can go on and on. Just make sure to check all the admissibility issues with an attorney once you turn 21.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/16/2011
Click to View More Answers: