Can I help my boyfriend get immigration papers before getting married? 2 Answers as of May 26, 2011

I am 24 years old and have been with my boyfriend for 7 years we are planning on getting married soon. I would like information on how I can help him get his papers. He's 30 years old and has been here in the U.S. since he was 12 years old. Do we have to be married before I can help him?? Or is there any other way he can apply for his papers on his own?? Any information would be greatly appreciated I don't know where to start. I'm at a complete blank.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law | Theresa E. Tilton
You cannot sponsor him unless you are married.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 5/26/2011
Verdin Law Firm, LLC
Verdin Law Firm, LLC | Isaul Verdin
First, you need to get married. Then you must file a family petition for him. I would consult with an immigration lawyer to see if he has a basis to seek 245i grandfathering so he can obtain a green card from within the U.S. It's important to inquire about this possibility. If he is not 245i grandfathered, then he will have to process his green card through the US consulate in his native country. In addition, he will have to file a waiver. Remember, please contact an experienced immigration lawyer before filing any form. Best of luck.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 5/26/2011
Click to View More Answers: