Can I have my wages garnished if I owe money to a credit card company? How? 16 Answers as of June 30, 2015

I am being taken to court by a credit card company. I owe $6500. What type of judgement am I looking at? I do not have the money to pay the bill. I am employed. Can they garnish my wages?

If they have a judgement, yes they can garnish your wages. The judgement will include what you owe, court costs, and attorneys fees. In most sates you can file papers to have them take out less. In California the garnishment starts at 25% of your gross wages (before taxes).
Yes, they can garnish 25% of your net take home pay each pay period.
If they win the judgment they can garnish 10% of your gross income until the judgment is paid. You may want to file chapter 7 bankruptcy or retain an attorney to fight the creditor.
Barnhart Law Office
Barnhart Law Office | Bruce C Barnhart
If you do not respond to the summons/compliant, the creditor will be entitled to a default judgment and may garnish your wages and accounts.
Yes. If they get a judgment against you, they have the right to garnishee your wages, unless your earnings are low enough to be exempt under the laws of your state. Good Luck.
    If a court judgment is entered against you, expect the court to add in additional amounts for attorney fees, court costs and interest. Depending on how long the debt has gone unpaid, $2,500 would be my best guess. But why are you asking me? The paperwork you received probably says what the creditor wants. Not being able to have the money to pay a debt is not a legal defense to a lawsuit for a debt. A creditor with a court judgment can take up to 25% of your wages until the debt is paid off. Expect to have additional interest, law enforcement fees and garnishment costs to your employer added to the awful judgment total. Unless your other debt is substantial, I would not expect bankruptcy to be an option for you. You may want to contact a local nonprofit credit counseling service for help.
    If they get a judgment against you in court. They can garnish your wages, seize your bank account and put a lien on your house.
    Law Offices of Joseph A. Mannis
    Law Offices of Joseph A. Mannis | Todd Mannis
    If they've already filed a lawsuit, then unless you contest it, they will eventually wind up with a judgment. Once they have a judgment, which would be a civil judgment in the amount of whatever it is you owe, plus fees and interest, they can enforce that judgment by garnishing your wages. You might want to speak to a bankruptcy attorney fairly quickly. Consultations are generally free.
    Law Office of Joshua R.I. Cohen
    Law Office of Joshua R.I. Cohen | Joshua Cohen
    You wages can be garnished if you lose judgement. Hire an attorney or at get some tips.
    Yes. Consider filing bankruptcy.
    Once they have a judgement wages are the target.
    Yes, if they get a judgment against you.
    Garner Law Office
    Garner Law Office | Daniel Garner
    That is exactly what they are planning to do if they can get a judgment against you. State law sets the limits on garnishment. In Oregon, the limit is typically 25 percent of your wages after mandatory taxes and child support. If you don't want to file bankruptcy, the only alternative is to work out a voluntary payment plan with the creditor which might take a smaller bite out of your paycheck than would a garnishment. Consult an attorney about your options, because the clock is ticking on the lawsuit.
    Charles Schneider, P.C.
    Charles Schneider, P.C. | Charles J. Schneider
    Yes wages can and will be garnished
    Deborah F Bowinski, Attorney & Counselor at Law | Debby Bowinski
    Yes, once the creditor obtains a judgment against you that is what will allow them to proceed with garnishment of wages as well as any other legal means to force you to pay what you owe. If you also have other debts that you are struggling with it might make sense for you to consider bankruptcy as a possibility. Most bankruptcy lawyers will offer at least a brief initial consultation to analyze your situation and discuss your options.
    Edelman, Combs, Latturner & Goodwin, LLC | Daniel A. Edelman
    A creditor that obtains a judgment can obtain a wage deduction order for 15 % of your wages, with a carve out representing the minimum wage. You should consult an attorney to see if the case itself is defensible, particular if not brought by the original creditor.