Can I have my gun rights restored with a fraud felony from 2008? 3 Answers as of June 17, 2011

I was 17 when I was charged with fraudulent use of a credit card as an adult and 18 when 'convicted.' They said adjudication was withheld but that I was sentenced back to the juvenile system. So I'm not sure if I'm a 'convicted' felon or not. I hired an attorney to seal my record but the judge said no because it had been over a year. I'm 21 now and want my gun rights back. I just applied to have my other rights restored as well. Can I have my gun rights restored with a fraud felony from 2008??

Pontrello Law
Pontrello Law | William Pontrello
To me it sounds like you were never convicted. in Florida you can seal records anytime as long as they are not violent or sex offenses.
Van Ness Law Group
Van Ness Law Group | Varinia Van Ness
You really need to know if you are a convicted felon or not. In Florida there is no time limit as to when you can seal your weapon.
Law Offices of Karen Kilpatrick
Law Offices of Karen Kilpatrick | Karen Kilpatrick
Sorry, why did the judge say no? What had been over a year? I'm not sure why you wouldn't be able to get the record sealed. Did the FDLE issue you a Certificate of Eligibility? If so, that means adjudication was withheld and no you weren't convicted. Which means you shouldn't have lost your gun rights. If you did lose your gun rights, there is a waiting period to apply for restoration that you haven't met yet. If you want to contact me directly, please feel free to email.