Can I have court postponed until I can afford to proceed? 7 Answers as of November 11, 2013

I filed for divorce and are almost finished with it, however my attorney has filed a motion to withdrawal due to lack of payment. Can I have court postponed until I can afford to proceed, or will the judge allow the divorce to continue?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
The Davis Law Office
The Davis Law Office | Willie G. Davis, Jr.
The judge can grant or deny Motion to Withdraw. However, it is unlikely that the Judge would postponed to give you time to come up with money.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 11/7/2013
John Russo | John Russo
That's not happening , so you either proceed or have the matter dismissed.
Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
Replied: 11/11/2013
Lombardi Law LLC
In Alaska you can ask the judge for a continuance until you decide if you are going to proceed on your own or find a new attorney depending on your finances. I have found that courts are usually sympathetic to such requests.
Answer Applies to: Alaska
Replied: 11/7/2013
Peters Law, PLLC
Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
If the other side has answered, then it will continue.
Answer Applies to: Idaho
Replied: 11/5/2013
Law Office of Cassandra Savoy
Law Office of Cassandra Savoy | Cassandra Savoy
You can withdraw the action.
Answer Applies to: New Jersey
Replied: 11/5/2013
    Diane l. Berger | Diane L. Berger
    You can file for a continuance but whether it will be granted or not will be up to the Judge. Can you no make an agreement with your attorney to make monthly payments to him so that the matter can be completed?
    Answer Applies to: Nebraska
    Replied: 11/5/2013
    Warner Center Law Offices of Donald F. Conviser
    Warner Center Law Offices of Donald F. Conviser | Donald F. Conviser
    Your lawyer's Motion will most likely be granted.? You didn't indicate whether or not any hearings are scheduled in the case.? You can't have the entire case put on ice; there is some possibility that you could have a scheduled hearing continued, especially if the other side of the case stipulates to the continuance - but don't count on a continuance - even if the other side agrees, the Court might not; if the other side does agree to a continuance of a hearing, it needs to be set forth in a Stipulation and Order (signed by both sides, and the order signed by the Judge) - after advising the Clerk, determining with the Clerk what continuance dates are available (if at all), and agreeing with the other side as to a continuance date - which must be set forth in the Stipulation and Order.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 11/5/2013
Click to View More Answers: