Can I handle a divorce case alone? 28 Answers as of August 05, 2011

I am interested in how to go about finding a family law attorney that is willing to do the case pro bono or possibly take monthly payments. My spouse has hired an attorney and he is known as a "shark" and I do not want to go into this alone, but I can't afford to hire one at this point. Thanks!

Beresford Booth PLLC
Beresford Booth PLLC | S. Scott Burkhalter
You can contact the County Bar Association where you live for a referral.
Law Office of Robert L. Fiedler
Law Office of Robert L. Fiedler | Robert L Fiedler
If he was able to hire an attorney, there should be money somewhere for you to hire one as well! I wo not know attorneys who handle pro bono cases but I am sure you can find one if you look hard enough. You can also ask the court for money from him to hire an attorney!
Neville J. Bedford Attorney at Law
Neville J. Bedford Attorney at Law | Neville J. Bedford
Contact your local Bar Association - They have volunteer and attorney lists for reduced fees if you qualify. If you think that you may qualify for reduced fee services or want to be referred through our program for the elderly, please contact The Rhode Island Bar .
Law Office of Roianne H. Conner
Law Office of Roianne H. Conner | Roianne Houlton Conner
I would suggest that you contact the local bar assocaition in the county in which the action is pending to locate an attorney who would be interested in a pro bono client.
Law Office of Michael W. Bugni
Law Office of Michael W. Bugni | Jay W. Neff
Whether you can handle your case alone depends on how complex the issues are in your case and upon your ability to follow the law and court rules and to fill out/draft proper pleadings. So, while you have the right to represent yourself if you want to, whether it is a good idea is up to you. In terms of finding an attorney willing to take your case on a pro bono basis, you are going to have to do some leg work. I think you'd be best served by calling the state bar association to see if they can give you a list of attorneys who might take your cases on a pro bono basis. After that, you'll have to phone around and see if you can find one who is willing to take your case.
    Call Family Law Attorneys in your area to find out whether they would be willing to file a Divorce and an Order to Show Cause for Attorney's Fees on either a Limited Scope basis or a Full Service Basis. The law about attorney's fees orders was amended as of January 1, 2011, to enable a party to obtain an attorney's fee order early on in a case. If your husband can afford a shark, he likely can afford to pay attorney's fees to your attorney pursuant to a court order.
    Vermeulen Law office P.A.
    Vermeulen Law office P.A. | Cynthia J.Vermeulen
    Truthfully, you can't afford not to have an experienced family lawyer in a divorce when there are children, property or both. You are far better off borrowing funds to hire an attorney now than trying to undo the damage after the divorce is done.
    Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A.
    Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A. | Joanna Mitchell
    If your Husband has hired an attorney, I strongly suggest that you hire one as well, even if you have to borrow the money from family and/or friends. You only get one bite at the apple, so to speak, so if the issues get decided erroneously, there may be nothing you can later do about it. How the matters in the divorce are determined can have a significant impact on the rest of your life. An attorney can help to protect your rights and interests.
    Frankly, it would be difficult, although you can certainly try, for you to find a lawyer who could take your case for free. And it's not just about legal fees. Unfortunately, there are a lot of court costs, e.g. court reporter fees, filing fees, guardian ad litem fees, in a typical divorce, so if a divorce attorney is not getting paid, then they also may go in the hole, because they would have to pay the costs out of their own pockets, if you fail to do so. We recommend that you talk with family and friends to help you, but again, you may be able to talk with some attorneys who will work with you, too. Good luck.
    Correia-Champa & Mailhot
    Correia-Champa & Mailhot | Susan Correia Champa
    I would need to know more information. Sometimes depending on the individual circumstances, you may be able to ask the court for your spouse to pay your legal fees.
    Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation
    Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation | Paul Wallin
    If you have a down payment we can help you locate a lawyer who may agree to take monthly payments. If your spouse earns substantial money we could possibly ask the judge to order him to pay our law office to defend you.
    Meriwether & Tharp LLC
    Meriwether & Tharp LLC | Patrick Meriwether
    Contact your local bar association to see if they have a list of pro bono attorneys.
    Willick Law Group
    Willick Law Group | Marshal S. Willick
    If you really cannot afford counsel, the local Pro Bono provider is the Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada. Those that take pro bono cases take them after they have been screened, and assigned, by Legal Aid.
    Vincent J. Bernabei LLC
    Vincent J. Bernabei LLC | Vincent J. Bernabei
    The court has the authority to order your husband to pay your attorney fees and litigation costs before the divorce case is completed. You should contact an attorney right away to determine your rights.
    Being self represented is a personal not legal decision. You can use family money for an attorney or borrow; some places take credit cards as well .
    Law Offices of Paul A. Eads, A.P.C.
    Law Offices of Paul A. Eads, A.P.C. | Paul A. Eads
    Typically attorneys don't handle too many cases pro bono; but payments are a possibility.
    You will find very few attorneys,, if any, who handle family law cases on a pro bono basis. However, for lower income people, there are non-profit organizations that provide such services. Look up Legal Aid in your county.
    You are always at risk without counsel, but if you feel you cannot afford counsel, spend at least a few hundred dollars on having a lawyer help you draft pleadings and coach you. That is better than doing nothing at all.
    Trying to handle a contentious divorce self represented when your spouse has an attorney can only lead to a bad outcome for you. Now is the time to call in the financial help of family and friends so you can raise the funds to hire your own attorney in order to protect your legal rights. If your spouse has more income than you, a request that your spouse contribute to your fees would be a proper motion for the judge to consider.
    Law Office of James Lentz
    Law Office of James Lentz | James Lentz
    If your wife has hired a "shark" you cannot afford pro-bono or to go it alone. Many lawyers take monthly payments. Find one who will work with you.
    This is always difficult. Call me and I will be as fair and careful for you as I can be. I can help you with this. And I will tell you up front what it will cost to do this for you. Give me a call, make an appointment to come see me, and let's get moving on this for you. No charge for the telephone call and no charge for the first office visit.
    Osterman Law LLC
    Osterman Law LLC | Mark D. Osterman
    there are several organizations that can help you and I encourage you to get in touch with them. They take a fair number of cases and my experience, they are tough and work hard.
    Elmbrook Law Offices
    Elmbrook Law Offices | Gregory Straub
    You do have the right to represent yourself in a divorce proceeding. I am not aware of many that are handling divorce matters on a pro bono basis however. But I can share that I as well as many family law attorneys in Wisconsin will allow a monthly payment plan to provide you with the flexibility necessary to address your needs. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me directly.
    Arnold & Wadsworth
    Arnold & Wadsworth | Brian Arnold
    We offer flexible payment plans. You can give us a call.
    Seattle Divorce Services
    Seattle Divorce Services | Michael V. Fancher
    You could consider hiring an attorney to assist you in representing yourself as a means of keeping the cost down. You might also check with your local county bar association to see what legal assistance programs may be available in your area. Finally, you could try calling around to see if you can find an attorney willing to start the case to see if they can have attorney fees ordered to be paid by your spouse.
    You "can" whether you "should" depends a lot on the facts and circumstances of your marriage and what you expect as a final result.You don't provide enough information to even begin to guess an answer to your question. You should be able to find an attorney to at least pay for a short consultation to give you a better idea of what you can expect.