Can I go outside the US if I my residence is expire but have an I-90 on file and approved? 4 Answers as of May 04, 2011

My dad want to travel to Mexico soon, his Resident card has expire since Jan of this year. He recently applied for a renewal and I checked his status and has been approve, but has not receive his card yet and has not been 30 days, so my question is can he still go out of the country? And what type of the documentation would he need to take to show he is in process of getting his new one? or where should he go to get it approve or get a paper saying that? I would appricate your help and advice, Beforehand Thanks!

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
What you need to do is to do an infopass appointment and click on "speak to an immigration officer" button; then he must go physically to your local immigration office with his valid passport so that he can get it stamped with the I-551 stamp which is indicative that the person is a LPR in the US. Just go to and look for infopass and follow the instructions. He needs to have a very good reason for why he must go now and cannot wait a few days or weeks. Next time, he will need to renew sooner so that he can avoid being in this position. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/4/2011
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC | Louis M. Piscopo
If he tries to reenter the U.S with an expired Green Card, even if his request for a new one has been approved, he will have a problem coming back in. Whether CBP lets him in depends on them. His best options is to wait until he receives his new Green Card, or make an INFOPASS, bring his passport, I-90 receipt and ask that the USCIS stamp his passport with temporary proof of his LPR status.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/4/2011
Law Office of Christine Troy
Law Office of Christine Troy | Christine Troy
I would not leave the US without that card. If he does, they may not let him back in or else he can expect to be hassled at the border.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/4/2011
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
He should make an INFOPASS (This can be scheduled at and then look for INFOPASS box. Go to the appointment with the I-90 approval and request a passport stamp (I-551 stamp) as evidence of his permanent residency for work and travel purposes. Usually when the I-90 is approved the card is sent shortly thereafter. Make sure you have notified USCIS if he has moved since the I-90 was filed. This can be done by calling or filing the address change (AR-11) online.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/3/2011
Click to View More Answers: