Can I give up my parental rights if my child's mother refuses to let me see her? 26 Answers as of December 12, 2011

I willingly pay child support monthly. I don't see/speak with my child. I'm considering giving up my parental right as her father, being that my daughter's mother won't let me see her or speak with her. The only time her mother contacts me, is if she wants money. It is nothing regarding my daughter or her well being.

Law Office of William L Spern | William Spern
Rather then give up your parental rights, you should seek an order of visitation in the divorce case or in the paternity case.
Law Office of Cassandra Savoy
Law Office of Cassandra Savoy | Cassandra Savoy
If you want to see your child, you should file a complaint in the non-dissolution unit of the family court and get court-ordered visitation. Public policy in New Jersey dictates that both parents get to bond with their children. Public policy also dictates that you can't change your mind and not be a dad any more.
Anderson & Boback | Janice L Boback
You cannot give up your parental rights unless someone else is going to adopt your child - absent a pending petition for adoption, your cannot waive your parental rights.
You can try but bet on Mom arguing it is not in the child's best interest. Termination of your rights (voluntary or otherwise) terminates your obligations too - so she will not get child support.
No you can't but you should file parenting time complaints with the Friend of the court's Office and/or file motions to hold her in contempt of court for failure to comply with the parenting time order.
    T. Mack Taylor LLC | Mack Taylor
    You are not required if you are the legal father. If you are the legal father you should already have a visitation schedule in place. If she will not adhere to the visitation schedule then you should file a contempt action against her.
    Pierce Family Law | Rodney Pierce
    There are two people being hurt here daughter and dad. Your daughter needs to have you in her life. It is very important for her. Ying because you fell your daughter needs your help and you love your daughter. I would suggest that you contact a family law attorney and get a 30 minute free consultation. You may contact my office and I will be happy to discuss the issue with you right away.
    The Law Office of Cathy R. Cook
    The Law Office of Cathy R. Cook | Cathy R. Cook
    You can only give up your parental rights in Ohio if another man, who is married to the mother, adopts the child. If the mother will not let you see the child, you should file in court for the right to do so.
    Attorney at Law | Ruchee Patel
    You can't voluntarily give up your parental rights unless there is an adoption or neglect petition. If you want to see your daughter, you need to file a visitation petition.
    No you cannot ask a court to let you be a deadbeat dad, refuse to support your child, and make it the taxpayer's responsibility. You cannot sign away paying support and must pay support or go to jail. If you want visitation, you hire a lawyer and seek it.
    If your child's mother restricts your contact to your child, then you can and should file a custody motion with the court to establish custody/visitation orders. You can hire a local family law lawyer to help you, or go to the court's free legal self help center for assistance.
    You (like many folks) appear to be misinformed as to your ability to simply surrender your parental rights (not to mention your responsibilities) by voluntarily signing a piece of paper which you may then have notarized. That will not do it. Au contraire, only a Virginia court of proper jurisdiction is legally empowered to abrogate such rights and for reasons that accord with the particular facts and law of the case involved.
    No. But, if there is no existing court order concerning parental rights and/or child support, you are not legally required (yet) to pay anything and you have no specific rights to see the child.
    Attorney Paul Lancia
    Attorney Paul Lancia | Paul Lancia
    Why give up your parental rights, a move you will most certainly regret in the years to come. GET a lawyer and take action, today!
    Anthony Saunders Esq., PLLC | Anthony M. Saunders
    It is possible to give up your parental rights. There are many things to consider should you decide that this is what you want to do. There are other alternatives as well. You should speak with an attorney about your ability in your case as well as your options.
    Goldberg Jones
    Goldberg Jones | Zephyr Hill
    You can give up your rights, but you cannot give up your responsibility. In other words, after you terminate your rights, mom can still get child support from you. You should fight to enforce your rights. Go after a better visitation schedule and get a relationship with your child. That would be best.
    H. Scott Basham, Attorney at Law, P.C. | H. Scott Basham
    You can certainly seek to have your parental rights terminated, but since she wants the money, I would expect her to contest this..
    Your daughter needs you as well as your financial help. Please consider filing a motion to establish a court ordered visitation plan with your daughter.
    A parent cannot unilaterally "give up" his or her parental rights, although you can give up trying to visit or spend time with your child. If you want to spend time with your daughter, file an Order to Show Cause for modification of Child Custody and/or Visitation, requesting specific orders setting forth your parental timeshare. If the mother violates those specific orders, you can file an Order to Show Cause in re Contempt against her, for which there are serious consequences to her.
    Law Office of Jane E. Ginsburg
    Law Office of Jane E. Ginsburg | Jane Ginsburg
    A child needs both parents. If the Mother won't let you see your child, you should go to court to ask for assistance.
    Law Office of William C. Wood, LLC | William C. Wood
    You may be able to terminate your parental rights if there is a step-parent willing to adopt the child. A better option may be to file a complaint for visitation and request that the court establish a court-ordered schedule for visitation. If the mother denies visitation, she would be in violation of the order.
    No. A court will not terminate parental rights on that basis. You should assert your parental rights by filing a an action seeking court ordered custody and parenting time. Until that is established, there is no enforceable obligation.
    Law Office of James L. Miller
    Law Office of James L. Miller | James Miller
    If you want to have a relationship with your daughter you need to file an OSC and let the court know what is going on. Are there currently any orders regarding custody and visitation? If there are then you need to let the courts know that she is not abiding by the orders. The court's main concern is the welfare of the child. If there is no other man in your ex's life that is willing to assume support of the child the court will not let you give up your rights. The child has to be supported and since you are the father that is your responsibility.
    Wolfstone, Panchot & Bloch, P.S., Inc.
    Wolfstone, Panchot & Bloch, P.S., Inc. | Mark Brown
    Under Washington state law, "giving up" parental rights would not relieve you of the duty to pay child support - unless the child were legally adopted by another adult.
    No. You can't give up your parental "rights" unless someone takes over your "responsibilities" by adopting the child. If you want to have a relationship with your child, get a parenting plan in place and enforce it.