Can I give myself a conservator gift? 3 Answers as of June 16, 2011

I have been appointed by the court to be a conservator and guardian of a disabled cousin. Although I have agreed to only be reimbursed for expenses, can I gift myself a sum of money in return for the maintenance I have done on her property, ie shoveling of snow, cutting of grass, raking of leaves?

No! If you have done work, you may apply to the Court for payment for the work that you have done but you are not to make gifts of the Wards property or money to yourself for any reason.
Be very careful. I believe you would have to have any such expenditures approved by the Surrogate or whatever other type of judge is overseeing your appointment. The reason is, if you simply approved payment for yourself it would leave the impression of impropriety since you are also in charge of the money and it could lead to improprieties. Speak to the lawyer who set the conservatorship up beforehand. Good luck.
Apple Law Firm PLLC
Apple Law Firm PLLC | David Goldman
I would get court approval for something like this.