Can I give my son power of attorney to sell my home in another state? 4 Answers as of February 17, 2012

I own a home in Indiana and live in Michigan. I need to give my son realtor power of attorney to sell it there.

Martin Barnes - Attorney at Law
Martin Barnes - Attorney at Law | Martin Barnes
Yes. You can grant those powers to your son. I advise you to meet with an attorney in the state where you reside to ensure the documents are prepared properly.
Bernard Huff, Attorney/Mediator
Bernard Huff, Attorney/Mediator | Bernard Huff
Yes you can give your son a limited or specific power of attorney to sell realty owned by you as long as it is executed and recorded properly.
Broad Law Firm, LLC
Broad Law Firm, LLC | Donald K. Broad
Yes. A power of attorney is a fairly simple document, and most attorneys can prepare that on a flat basis. You (or your son) should contact an attorney in Indiana (where the property is located) to have the document prepared.
THE HUBBARD LAW FIRM, P.C.
THE HUBBARD LAW FIRM, P.C. | Donald B. Lawrence, Jr.
Yes, Michigan law allows for the creation of a durable power of attorney. It can be broad or it can be as specific as you desire. Being a "durable" power of attorney means that to the extent that the agent you select is authorized by the document that agent can act on your behalf within the range of powers granted even if you became incapacitated. However, unless you are incapacitated, you retain the right to revoke the power of attorney if you desire to do so. You may want to discuss this with an attorney to make sure you give him the authority to carry out your wishes.