Can I give my baby my last name and still get child support? 14 Answers as of July 11, 2013

I'm single and 4 1/2 months pregnant. Can I give my child my last name and still get child support and everything else as if it is still the father's baby?

Gregory T. Buckley, Attorney at Law
Gregory T. Buckley, Attorney at Law | Gregory T. Buckley
The child's last name is not the most important factor in determining child support.
Law Office of Robert L. Fiedler
Law Office of Robert L. Fiedler | Robert L Fiedler
In Shakespeare's words, a rose by any other name would smell just as sweet. A name doesn't mean anything in this regard. The father would be obligated whether you give the child your last name, his last name or my last name.
Edwin Fahlen Attorney at Law
Edwin Fahlen Attorney at Law | Edwin Fahlen
The name of the child is not relevant. Parentage is relevant. Therefore you must establish parentage in order to receive child support. We can help you with this procedure.
Pontrello Law
Pontrello Law | William Pontrello
every child has a father, if you want child support trough the courts you must establish paternity.
Law Office of James Lentz
Law Office of James Lentz | James Lentz
In Michigan and Ohio, yes you can give the child your last name and get support. Please see a domestic relations attorney for guidance. before doing anything.
    The child's last name is totally irrelevant to the obligation of a biological parent to provide financial support. In Colorado, if you are not married to the father and the father does not admit paternity (in writing) at the time the child is born, the child will have your last name or possibly any last name you choose - but no father will be listed. Eventually, the father will the right to request a name change, but that will require a court to decide, based on all the facts. However, in order to obtain child support it will be necessary for a judge to rule on paternity - based either on the father's admission or upon DNA testing.
    Beresford Booth PLLC
    Beresford Booth PLLC | S. Scott Burkhalter
    A child's name has nothing to do with child support. The obligated parent will still be required to pay support.
    Law Office of Michael W. Bugni
    Law Office of Michael W. Bugni | Jay W. Neff
    As far as I am aware, in Washington law, there is nothing that would prevent you from collecting child support based upon the last name of the child. You would still have to comply with all of the normal paternity statutes, but, they should not be affected by the child's last name.
    The English Law Firm
    The English Law Firm | Robert English
    The name of the child makes no difference for child support purposes.
    Yes. The duty to support a man's child is not dependent upon the child's last name, but is dependent upon a finding of paternity, whether by agreement or DNA testing. You should seek child support through your county's child support agency, or in the alternative, you should file a paternity case. The county child support agency won't charge you for its services, but may be slow, and won't represent you. A private attorney would charge you for his/her services in a paternity case, but would likely be faster and more responsive to you, because he/she would represent you and be paid by you.
    Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A.
    Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A. | Joanna Mitchell
    Yes. The baby's last name has nothing to do with the determination of paternity. If paternity is established, he will have an obligation to support the child.
    The name given to a child does not affect paternity or child support determinations by a court.
    Law Office of Richard B. Kell
    Law Office of Richard B. Kell | Richard B. Kell
    You can certainly give your child your last name, but it *may* make establishing paternity more difficult for you. For example, if the father wants the child to have his last name and you refuse, then he may refuse to sign the birth certificate (which, of course, he could do anyway). If he refuses to sign the birth certificate, then you will certainly have to pursue a paternity action against him in order to get child support.
    Law Office Of Jody A. Miller
    Law Office Of Jody A. Miller | Jody A. Miller
    Under Georgia law the baby does not have to have the father's last name on the birth certificate in order for you to ask for child support.