Can I get a youthful offender charge reduced or dismissed? 4 Answers as of April 01, 2011

I was 18, when I was charged with a felony burglary in the third degree: youthful offender 140.20 00 df. I'm 37 now can I have the charges dismissed or reduced after all these years I'm trying to join army.

This response is general information only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. However, Youthful Offender status means that the conviction was vacated- tat is the whole purpose of obtaining Youthful Offender status- to get conviction vacated so as not to have a criminal record. If there is a problem with the military you can hire an attorney to get the conviction expunged if for any reason it was not vacated at the time you got youthful offender status.
If you received Youthful Offender treatment then you do not have a conviction. The military does not usually worry about YO convictions, and you can get a waiver even if your recruiter feels it is relevant to your application.
Unfortunately, Youthful Offender treatment must be done at the time of the sentencing which is now almost 20 years ago. On the other hand, you might want to consult with an attorney to see if they can do it for you, however, its not my understanding that it can be done. Good luck.
Law Offices of Carl Spector
Law Offices of Carl Spector | Carl Spector
A youthful offender (YO) adjudication is not a conviction. Therefore, if you received YO treatment by the court you do not have a criminal record and there is nothing to reduce or dismiss.