Can I get workers compensation if I might have been infected by a MRSA carrier I was taking care of as a home health aide? 15 Answers as of March 07, 2014

I was employed as a home health aide in November of 2013. At that time I began taking care of a MRSA carrier and I was not aware of it. She recently had an outbreak and not one of her care physicians or the company I work for gave me any indication that I should take precautions and I am not aware of the sincerity of the infectious disease. I recently went to a doctor due to a red painful spot on my forehead that keeps growing. They gave me antibiotics but I checked it this morning and it's larger with a big sac and green puss being exposed above the skin. Anyways, my question is: Can I get workers compensation from this situation? The doctor visits and prescriptions are already draining my bank account.

Probably. If you become ill or injured, and the illness or injury arises out of the employment, it is a workers compensation case.
KEYL ADR Services, LLC | Mark D. Keyl
I would suggest you file for workers compensation citing the date that you were initially exposed to this lady that was infected. If it happened on the job, then you are entitled to it.
Randy Ligh | Randy Ligh
Yes, however, considering the passage of time between incident and now, you may want to consult and have an attorney represent you.
Lombardi Law Firm
Lombardi Law Firm | Steve Lombardi
Yes, you can so long as a doctor is willing to express an opinion that it will keep you from working at some jobs, via restrictions. Your condition and workers' compensation benefits is all about how having this condition affects your ability to get jobs and how it restricts access to certain professions.
Answer Applies to: Iowa
Curious case, you must be in the course and scope of your employment (you seemed to be) and you must have an "accident" see a good worker compensation lawyer with all details. You wont get anything for "might".
    Ty Wilson Law
    Ty Wilson Law | Ty Wilson
    Yes, however these are complicated cases. You will have to prove you have not been anywhere else where MRSA exists. Not an easy task so you will need a doctor to put in writing where he things you obtained the MRSA.
    If the Dr. will say that the spot is caused from your exposure at work to MRSA, then you should be able to make a compensation claim.
    LAW OFFICES OF ARMAN MOHEBAN | ARMAN MOHEBAN
    You need to file a claim for worker's compensation benefits that cover temporary disability benefits, ongoing medical treatment and a settlement for permanent disability and future medical care.
    Lewis B. Kaplan | Lewis B. Kaplan
    Your unfortunate situation is worth further detailed discussion with a work comp lawyer.