Can I get unemployment insurance? 1 Answers as of May 10, 2011

So I was fired from my company for returning merchandise that was non returnable however I was never taught anything about returns or return policy, nor did i ever sign anything acknowledging that. I was terminated and the state said that it was their business decision, however there was no clear policy stated previously and benefits were allowed. Now they are disputing the benefits and I might have to pay back 2 months of unemployment?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Rice & Co., LPA
Rice & Co., LPA | Kollin Rice
To qualify for unemployment benefits, the basic idea is that you have to be able to establish that you were not terminated for just cause. If you unknowingly violated an employer's rule, it will often come down to whether or not you knew or should have known about the rule, or whether your conduct was of the sort that an average person would have recognized it to be wrong. This is often a judgment call by the person making the decision at unemployment. It sounds to me like you have no choice but to continue to pursue these benefits regardless. Having won initially, this is provides you with some reassurance. As you continue to pursue this, make sure you report your job seeking as required, respond promptly to all requests for information and the like, promptly appeal any adverse decisions, and check your case online at least every few days to make sure that you are on top of any developments.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 5/10/2011
Click to View More Answers: