Can I get to jail for a first time offense for driving without a license? 51 Answers as of July 08, 2013

My friend said she was sick and felt dizzy. I said I would take the wheel so we will not get hurt.

I do not feel the court will send you to jail for this offense. Most likely you will have to pay a fine and cost of court.
Yes, you could, but it is highly unlikely. The judge will probably give you a suspended sentence.
Conway Law Pllc.
Conway Law Pllc. | B. L. Conway
Well Yeah, but that is a defense. You are looking at up to 1 Year in Jail, a $2500 fine and license suspension.
Law Offices of Mark L. Smith
Law Offices of Mark L. Smith | Mark L. Smith
No.
Larry K. Dunn & Associates | Larry K. Dunn
All misdemeanor offenses in the State of Nevada carry a maximum penalty of 6 months in jail and/or $1,000 fine. It is unlikely that a judge would impose jail for driving without a valid license because the driver became ill and unsafe to continue driving. A judge would be more likely to impose jail if the driver's license was suspended or revoked.
    You may want to fight this charge. A medical emergancy is a reason to drive without a license. It depends on how sick your friend was.
    Driving without a license is an infraction and is not punished by jail time.
    It's possible. I suggest that you contact an experienced criminal law attorney for a face-to-face consultation and give him/her all of the facts surrounding your arrest. He/she would then be in a better position to analyze your case and advise you of your options.
    Grant & Grant
    Grant & Grant | Richard L. Grant, Esq.
    No. But, you need to hire a Traffic / Criminal Defense Attorney who regularly appears in the court where your case is filed. Driving without a License is a Misdemeanor and most often, the District Attorney will file a Criminal Complaint.
    Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC | Seth L. Reszko
    All cases and facts are different, so I can't definitely predict what will happen. Generally, a conviction for driving without a license does not include jail time. If you have multiple convictions relating to driving without a license or outstanding warrants, there is a possibility jail time can be imposed.
    If you are charged with 509-1 Driving Without a License you will pay a $50 fine and not have a criminal record. If you drove on a suspended license you should retain a good criminal lawyer to try to get a violation plea and avoid a jail sentence. You will usually just pay a fine unless your license was suspended due to a DWI.
    Yes, because you drive without a license. There is no justification, because your friend was ill.
    Law & Mediation Office of Jeffrey L. Pollock, Esq.
    Law & Mediation Office of Jeffrey L. Pollock, Esq. | Jeffrey Lawrence Pollock
    A good lawyer would ensure that you get a fine at most.
    Steven Alpers | Steven Alpers
    It is possible, but unlikely. If you can apply for a license and if you get the license it will help your situation, possibly a dismissal or at least a less serious charge.
    Germaine & Blaszka, P.A.
    Germaine & Blaszka, P.A. | Donald L. Blaszka, Jr.
    In NH, driving without a valid license is a violation level offense with a maximum punishment of $1000 plus $240 penalty assessment.
    Doubtful. Bring your friend to court. It's not a defense but hopefully the judge will be sympathetic.
    William L. Welch, III Attorney | William L. Welch, III
    Yes, you might be sent to jail for a year. Although your reason for breaking the law might be mitigation, it does not excuse the violation. Although it is unlikely that you would be sent to jail, no one can say how the judge would ultimately sentence you.
    Blough Law Office | Janis L. Blough
    Although your offense carries a potential jail term, ordinarily you will only be fined (+ court costs). Many courts have a recording which tells you how much the fine is, but it may be worth it to appear and plead your case before a judge/magistrate. It would help to have your friend present, and a doctor's note wouldn't hurt either. If this is one of several/many such violations, you could be looking at jail time, but usually they would rather save the jail space for more dangerous violators. Good Luck!
    Law office of Robert D. Scott | Robert Scott
    No permit does carry jail time, but there may be lesser sanctions available to you if you are a first time offender.
    James M. Osak, P.C.
    James M. Osak, P.C. | James M. Osak
    ARGUE "NECESSITY" as she was ill. You were taking her to a hospital? You could have called a cab you know.
    Anything is possible, this is a criminal offense, however I seriously doubt that you will be sent to jail at all, but given some type of probationary sentence, perhaps a fine. Why not get a license? You would probably have the case dropped completely if you do.
    Gary Moore, Attorney at Law
    Gary Moore, Attorney at Law | Gary Moore
    Not with the right way.
    Anderson & Carnahan
    Anderson & Carnahan | Stephen Anderson
    It depends on whether your license was suspended and for what you should talk to an attorney on your county.
    It is certainly possible. The offense is a misdemeanor and is punishable by up to 90 days in jail and a $1000 fine.
    If your license was not suspended, and you simply didn't have one, then usually there will not be jail time. But it is still possible, since VC 12500(a) can still be filed as a misdemeanor. Contact an attorney if you want to get it infracted or dismissed.
    Mace J. Yampolsky, LTD
    Mace J. Yampolsky, LTD | Mace Yampolsky
    Yes, but you probably won't.
    MatthewR. Schutz, Esq | Matthew R. Schutz
    No.
    That charge carries a jail possibility but you would not normally go to jail for a first offense.
    Connell-Savela
    Connell-Savela | Jason Savela
    It is possible to get jail it is mandatory if suspension/revocation was for alcohol (dui etc) there is sometimes an emergency defense, but it is not easy.
    Anderson Law Office
    Anderson Law Office | Scott L. Anderson
    Usually you would not do jail time for a first offense, you would usually get stayed time meaning if the type of offense does not happen again you will not do jail time. Caveat: Every county and prosecutor is different but that is the usual result.
    You could but it is unlikely. Get your license before your court date. It will help.
    Pietryga Law Office | Russ Pietryga
    Yes. However, whether the judge sentences you to jail, usually depends on why you do not have a license. For instance, if your license was suspended for a DUI, you are more likely to be sentenced to jail.
    I have never had anyone go to jail for it. Anything is possible.
    You have a potential defense if this was a true emergency.
    Law Office of Charles J. Block
    Law Office of Charles J. Block | Charles J. Block
    No.
    Law Office of Christopher G Humphrey PC | Christopher G Humphrey
    It is possible.
    Answer Applies to: Wyoming
    Christensen Corbett & Pankratz
    Christensen Corbett & Pankratz | Craig L. Pankratz
    You can, but you most likely won't.
    It is a misdemeanor with potential one year in jail. While this isn't a 'capital case', you certainly face fines and potential jail, so handle it right. No amount of free 'tips and hints' from here or elsewhere are going to effectively help you in your legal defense. If you don't know how to represent yourself effectively against an experienced prosecutor intending to convict, then hire an attorney who does, who will try to get a dismissal, charge reduction, diversion, program, or other decent outcome through plea bargain, or take it to trial if appropriate.
    John Segelbaum, P.S.
    John Segelbaum, P.S. | John Segelbaum
    Barbara Fontaine, Esquire | Barbara Fontaine
    I would not expect any jail time. Usually you have to come in with a valid license to show that you will not drive without one again. You pay a fine and since I do not know what state you live in, I cannot know what else. But jail seems much too severe. (You didn't have an accident, did you?)
    Law Office of James J. Rosenberger | James Joseph Rosenberger
    If the charge is Driving with Suspended License 3rd Degree you face 90 days jail and/or $1000 fine. Assuming a decent driving record I'd be awfully surprised if you received Jail time especially if you can get a valid license anytime soon.
12 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney